Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

So much fail...

Discussion on things related to the Institution for Creation Research

So much fail...

Postby shadowmouse » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:37 am

"Get smart and I'll fuck you over -- sayeth The Lord."
-- Frank Zappa, re: Christianity's preference for perpetuation of ignorance

"I can literally tell you all to fuck off and you'll go awww." — Benedict Cumberbatch
shadowmouse

Re: So much fail...

Postby zilch » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:53 am

I do admire the graphic representation of a 70% similarity with a maybe 15% overlap. That takes chuzpah. :lol:

Of course, this is a number that can easily be cherry picked- all you have to do is expand the genetic unit size you're looking to compare, from nucleotide sequence to gene to entire chromosome. Somewhere along the way you'll get a 70% match. Hell, they might as well go whole hog and say that since the entire human genome is not identical to the entire chimp genome, then the genetic overlap is zero.

I wonder, on their reasoning, what figure ICR would give for the overlap of, say, the KJV and the NKJV. I presume that some of the King James Only crowd would say zero percent. Pattern recognition, people.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:47 pm

This reminds me of what I've seen and read this before; oh you believe you're apes! You say you are related to sea cucumbers! As a way of mocking those who are not Creationists/proponents of the theory of evolution. Let's play the Creationist game. It's only a thought experiment so no one gets hurt. Say us freethinkers/evolutionists/whoever, really honestly think we are related to apes/are apes and we use that as a base of our morals.

Say we are proponents of the placement of the famous evolutionary tree and we are just a twig and all come from the same root?

Why is it bad? Why is seeing a bit of your DNA in every living creature so bad? Would a hunter be so willing to level his rifle at a deer or an elephant or a pigeon if he knew that he was killing a distant relative?

I know it sounds silly and I'm reaching but suppose someone went up to one of this Creationists and said, 'yeah, but my morals comes from the Darwinian idea we are all from one cell and developed like a tree into different branches all with the same root".
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby creativerealms » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:23 pm

Only 70 percent? Really? Also vin diagram fail.
"If bluray came from CDs ... why are there still CDs."
creativerealms

Return to Institute for Creation Research