Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

And then the second

Discussion on things related to the Institution for Creation Research

And then the second

Postby Don » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:17 am

We should really pay more attention to these Morris Yokels. I get their monthly newsletter. Doing my part to bankrupt the YECs.... I had to sign up a while back to do a PZ poll crash. I rarely get through one of their articles. It's all big headers claiming "Evolution on it's last Leg" and then the usual bullshit. I really loved the February issue about Darwin.

One scary thing I noticed is how totally fucked up these hard core YECs look. They are down right scary. What is it about Christians that make them look so fucked up. I'm talking about the seriously sideways, 100% literal Fundies. They just look WRONG.

Oh well.. Back to school, time to warp some more young minds. A former student fondly reminded me of my favorite phrase during my first year there. "As that fictional character Jesus might have said..."
Don

Re: And then the second

Postby Whateverman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Don wrote:I'm talking about the seriously sideways, 100% literal Fundies. They just look WRONG.

A few weeks ago, the Hitler Channel had a day of Biblical Prophecy, and the various predictions about Armageddon, etc. In one of these shows, the author of the Left Behind series was giving opinions on various scriptural predictions and how he envisioned the rapture, etc.

I swear, the guy was really creepy looking. Fake smile, sweater vest over a button up shirt and tie, slicked back hair - and a palpable aura of insincerity oozing from every pore.

Seriously, he made my skin crawl...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby freddies_dead » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:34 pm

They evolved to fit the niche ;)
Happiness is smashing children upon the rocks (Psalms 137:9).
freddies_dead

Postby Don » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 pm

They evolved to fit the niche ;)

That's exactly right. But I think it's more like de-volved. All of them... Ever since Meese the original of swine. I guess that's what happens when you seriously repress your urges. If you've noticed, Ted Haggard has been looking almost normal since he's come clean about his lust for anal sex and amphetamine.
Don

Postby jarsulic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

I saw the Left Behind guys on Rachel Maddow a few weeks back. I believe they were on to discuss politics among evangelicals, but almost immediately jumped into end-times prophecy. The good news is that Barack Obama is not the anti-christ. Apparently, he is not popular enough.
jarsulic

Postby ExPatMatt » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 pm

jarsulic wrote:I saw the Left Behind guys on Rachel Maddow a few weeks back. I believe they were on to discuss politics among evangelicals, but almost immediately jumped into end-times prophecy. The good news is that Barack Obama is not the anti-christ. Apparently, he is not popular enough.

Has anyone else read the Left Behind books? My mum has them all (I know!) and so I read them the last time I was home. It took about 2 days to get through the lot - there's not much to them, by any measure. Very poorly written, 1-dimensional characters and, even for fantasy-fiction, implausible plot devices. The films are even worse!
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:41 pm

ExPatMatt wrote:
jarsulic wrote:I saw the Left Behind guys on Rachel Maddow a few weeks back. I believe they were on to discuss politics among evangelicals, but almost immediately jumped into end-times prophecy. The good news is that Barack Obama is not the anti-christ. Apparently, he is not popular enough.

Has anyone else read the Left Behind books? My mum has them all (I know!) and so I read them the last time I was home. It took about 2 days to get through the lot - there's not much to them, by any measure. Very poorly written, 1-dimensional characters and, even for fantasy-fiction, implausible plot devices. The films are even worse!

Don't subject yourself to the stupid like Matt did, just go here - http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktiv ... index.html - and let a liberal christian go through the books and movies, bashing them and destroying the bad writing and theology.

Actually I think the films are better, they go into things that are just glossed over in the book, they ask questions that the book never even attempts, and they show more than the books try too. It is only because they are a visual media that they are better, the writing and acting is horrible. A few of the good actors add more depth to their characters than the books even attempt. Yes I am looking at the misogynistic main character of Rayford Steele. You can almost like him in the movie.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Don » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:14 am

You bastards...

I just went and watched that left behind film. What a hoot. I loved it. I laughed so hard I pissed myself. Again. When I saw the toy tanks crawling over the hills. That was priceless.

But they should have hired someone for continuity. They had the little crosses on top of the clothes and shit like that. The director was even worse than the music. Each shot was lined up to take my focus away from the actors. And I loved Kirk's urinal conversion.

Thanks...
Don

Postby rufustfirefly » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:50 am

I tried to read the first Left Behind book, but I couldn't do it. I forced my self to finish The Glorious Appearing in order to see how they described the final battle and the return of Jesus. Pretty funny. WEM, the creepy guy is Tim Layhaye. And when Jesus doesn't return, he has set the LayHayes up financially for several generations. As for the left Behind movies, the only thing that could make them better would be if Ray Comfort was in them.
rufustfirefly

Postby theShaggy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:18 am

I was working at Metro Hall in Toronto when they were filming the second one. Metro Hall was the council chamber for the Metropolitan Toronto council, which was the combination of the six or so different municipalities which made up the larger Metro Toronto. This was after we had amalgamated into the so-called "Megacity," so Metro Hall was being used as a city office building and the council chambers were largely empty.

You might recognize them from the first X-Men film, where Jean Grey gave the speech to Congress about mutants. Then we cut to Xavier and Magneto supposedly walking just outside the chamber but was, in fact, across the street at Roy Thomson Hall. ANYWAY.

They were filming Left Behind 2: Tribulation Force in the city at the time, and were shooting around Metro Hall and in Council Chambers. I was walking around the building with some friends during lunch and we all got excited to see "TV's Hearthrob KIRK CAMERON" walking around our building.

When I got back to my desk, I looked up the movie, and that's when I discovered that Kirk Cameron was insane.

That's my story!
*holds up fists* These are not the Shaggy.
The Shaggy is my penis.

And out of the ground MacGuyver formed a great site, and brought it to the Raytractors to see what they would call them: SMRT was what the Shaggy called them, that was the name thereof.
theShaggy

Next

Return to Institute for Creation Research