Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

An article on Spiritual Abuse

Many of our members are or were religious at some point in their lives. Feel free to post discussions on religious topics here.

Re: An article on Spiritual Abuse

Postby lehman scott » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 am

zilch wrote:That's sticking it to him, lehman!

Whaa?! That wasn't my intention, zilch! ;)

I really don't have anything to add!
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:33 am

Sorry, man, I was trying to be funny. I guess I'm just a failure.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby lehman scott » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:56 am

zilch wrote:Sorry, man, I was trying to be funny. I guess I'm just a failure.

Heh, i knew that, man - - I guess i didn't adequately communicate that and am an equal failure.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am

A separate but equal failure.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Chaplain Entrekin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:12 pm

lehman scott wrote:To be honest, i'm not really very interested and certainly not at all adept or well-versed in the type of philosophical arguments y'all seem to be enjoying. When it comes right down to it, i am a materialist. I do not believe in the existence of some non-physical entity called a soul that exists apart from our physical brains and that persists after we die in any form. There is just no verifiable, objective, and repeatable physical evidence for the existence of such a thing. The "soul" is nothing more than a fabrication of our minds, which are in turn a result of nothing more than neuronal electrochemical activities in our physical brains. Just like God.

I, too, felt like the particular conversation had run its course (i.e. I answered your original question as best I could, though admittedly, perhaps not like you expected/wanted). But reading your reply above, I am curious why you were originally curious.

I can't give you scientific, objective, measurable proof of the soul (although as you used in your above response, esp. labelling yourself a materialist, it sounds like you were speaking of that term as being more inclusive than just in common parlance with regard to religious conversation). But I can share this with you.

I work with wounded, ill, and injured Soldiers. Joint Base Lewis McChord's Warrior Transition Battalion has the highest percentage of terminal cancer patients and of behavioral health patients of any WTB in the Army. Every day I run into people who left their family multiple years ago, got injured, and because of their treatment, haven't been able to go back home yet. I speak with Soldiers who tell me that they reach the point when their body and mind (material) are ready to tap out and quit. But their soul, or spirit, was resilient enough that it pushed them through, kept them from harming the material body, and they made it through that hard day. I recently held a memorial ceremony for one of those Soldiers. He was diagnosed with end stage Leukemia. And you could read it on his body and on his face when it was a bad day for him. When we would talk, he would share about how God was nourishing his spirit/soul and that was what helped him to recognize everyday as a good one. His material body was crap, but his soul, that "non-physical entity that exists apart from his physical brain," was strong and healthy.

In a few weeks, I will be holding another memorial ceremony. This Soldier had almost fully recovered from his injuries. He was not being treated for any reported physical pain. In a few short months, he would have been out of the military and starting a new life as a veteran with his wife and 7 month old son. But he killed himself. The material part of him was plenty strong. But his spirit/soul, that non-physical entity that exists apart from his physical brain," was not.

[NOTE WELL: I am not making any assertions on reasons why people commit suicide. Each person is unique, and to focus on the suicide is to miss my ultimate point.]

I can't perform a soul-ectomy and deliver the thing to you in an ice chest. I can't weigh a person right before death and right after to give you the precise weight of the human soul (interestingly, others have and claim it weighs 27 grams). But I can share anecdotely that I encounter the soul's presence, its health or lack of, almost everyday.

And I suspect that perhaps you do too.

- Chap
I find your lack of faith...disturbing. -Darth Vader
Chaplain Entrekin

Postby eyeofhorus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 am

Hi all, first post.

The "soul" is a concept with many different explanations depending on the worldview of a given person, that said, it is always based on the same experiential knowledge in life. It is our biological interaction with the world around us, the ego. A correct interpretation of the soul requires no gods or revelation, all facets of humanity manage to produce some observations of life as a human that resonate with all of us. I believe to give it any kind of supernatural exclusivity is folly. Humans take in a lot of information in our seemingly short experience, our individual experience of that data is what I would call our soul. But I do not minimize the experience of a flower or even a planet, they too are given senses and are joined with all of us in a universal experience.
eyeofhorus

Postby zilch » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 am

Hey, a pantheist! Welcome, fellow god or goddess!
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Previous

Return to The SMRT Religion Project