Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Hey peoples

Many of our members are or were religious at some point in their lives. Feel free to post discussions on religious topics here.

Hey peoples

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:29 am

Hope I am welcome? Y*:-H lol

I am a follower of Christ, who enjoys discussion and searching for truth.

For those who may remember, in the past I have blogged under the name "Da Bomb" or "Da Pilrgim", at Ray comforts old blog (athiest central) and others. There are many people I recognise on here from back then, so I thought I would come and catch up. I am currently co-running a blog "Benevalent Hecklers" over at http://thebenevolenthecklers.blogspot.co.nz/.

BTW has anyone seen Expatmat around? Always enjoyed having a chat with him and haven't seen him for ages.

All the best!

Dan
Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Re: Hey peoples

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:08 am

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:Hope I am welcome? Y*:-H lol

I am a follower of Christ, who enjoys discussion and searching for truth.

For those who may remember, in the past I have blogged under the name "Da Bomb" or "Da Pilrgim", at Ray comforts old blog (athiest central) and others. There are many people I recognise on here from back then, so I thought I would come and catch up. I am currently co-running a blog "Benevalent Hecklers" over at http://thebenevolenthecklers.blogspot.co.nz/.

BTW has anyone seen Expatmat around? Always enjoyed having a chat with him and haven't seen him for ages.

All the best!

Dan

Expatmat hasn't been here in over a couple years. He had a lot going on and finally disappeared.

And, by the way, in response to the mast head of your blog, "Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Building in believer's lives a resilience to sieges from the world around," is pretty much bullshit.

It always cracks me up how people defending their religion go on for interminable amounts of time, yada, yada, yada, yet not a one of them can prove their God's existence.
And don't bother trotting out all the old lame philosophical arguments or make the claim that you have had some sort of revelation. It's all plain old horseshit.

Also, just for your information, if you even hint at the idea of presuppositionalism (which itself is a refuted and worn out philosophy) you will probably be laughed off the boards.

So, unless you have some empirical evidence that you can bring and show us, you're pretty much wasting your time. And I mean you really are wasting your life in every way with your daily bullshitting activities.

With that out in the open, there's no reason we can't be friends,

Froggie
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:44 am

Well, Dan, you're off to a bad start before even leaving he starting gate:

However, in the known universe, I freely attest that there is absolutely nothing that proves beyond a shadow of doubt, that there is a God. However, I and many others, by faith, attest that there is a God.

But you would tell me I am nuts for having faith in my personal god of choice.

And,

The pointers I mentioned earlier are based on the belief that everything in the universe, known and unknown, the something and the nothing, points to something greater than man.

Your "beliefs" along with the "believers" of most the other religions of the world are more engines of grief than anything. Your "beliefs" serve no productive purpose whatsoever.

Oh geesh, it gets worse:

Present scientific consensus states that only 5% of the universe is knowable matter. The other 95% is nothingness, Dark Energy or Dark Matter with little or no understanding what Dark Matter or Dark Energy or nothingness actually is. Based on that 5%, non believers freely decide and proudly proclaim that there is absolutely no God and are willing to risk their immortal souls on it.

No. You're starting your horseshit again. What we have learned about physics and the rate at which we continue to learn has taught us volumes about the state of the universe. Just for starters, empty space is not nothing. Space has amazing properties, many of which are just beginning to be understood. The first property that Einstein discovered is that it is possible for more space to come into existence. "Empty space" can possess its own energy. The latest findings are predicting that energy is a property of space itself. You are out of your league, lil buddy. You are just another draconian fundie who would rather stop the advancements of science just to hold to your silly beliefs, even while you stand and watch those beliefs go up in the smoke of reason.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Froggie, long time no see, and thanks for the welcome!

Before you jump to your guns... oops sorry it looks like you have :) I am not the only contributor on the blog. You were actually trying to discredit another member's post, my good friend "No Doubt" who you may also remember. And no, from my understanding, I am not a presuppositionist, at least not any more than anyone else is on this planet :D

All the best!

Dan
Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 pm

"And, by the way, in response to the mast head of your blog, "Casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Building in believer's lives a resilience to sieges from the world around," is pretty much bullshit.
It always cracks me up how people defending their religion go on for interminable amounts of time, yada, yada, yada, yet not a one of them can prove their God's existence."

Cheers, the heading is in response to a lot of the stuff that some people throw at Christians that have no real value, such as ad hominems, parody and lemon picking etc. I like to see Christians think about their faith instead of relying on personal miraculous experience. I also like to see Christians giving reasonable replies to reasonable questions, and I am also just plain interested in the finer details of God, nature and everything. So likewise I would like Atheists ( and others) to think about their faith more (I can imagine receiving a lot of face palms for that last comment lol)... instead of burying their heads in the sand like Richard Dawkins Y*%-( claiming that "I don't have a belief" nonsense.
I am actually surprised you believe in "proof" Froggie.

And don't bother trotting out all the old lame philosophical arguments or make the claim that you have had some sort of revelation. It's all plain old horseshit...So, unless you have some empirical evidence that you can bring and show us, you're pretty much wasting your time.

Um, I thought the subheading of this site was for sceptical minds and rational thinkers? not only empirical evidence?

cheers.
Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby Weemaryanne » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:19 pm

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:Um, I thought the subheading of this site was for sceptical minds and rational thinkers? not only empirical evidence?

cheers.

Hi, Daniel, and welcome to SMRT.

She said, before making him feel unwelcome.

Re the quoted line (and I know I'll hate myself for asking), do you have some other kind of evidence supporting the existence of an intangible entity who creates universes and reads minds and tortures people forever? Do share. I'm ever so interested.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby Daniel (Da Pilgrim) » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Re the quoted line (and I know I'll hate myself for asking), do you have some other kind of evidence supporting the existence of an intangible entity who creates universes and reads minds and tortures people forever? Do share. I'm ever so interested.

Is it worth replying to sarcasm?

The whole discussion about the ultimate truth "out there" cannot be discussed with mere empirical evidence, it is a part of it surely, but not the entirety. Often a lot of evidence is about getting rid of unreasonable ideas and replacing them with more reasonable ones. Also just because I say I am a follower of Christ does not mean that I am a follower of common Christian thought.

cheers
Daniel (Da Pilgrim)

Postby E-lad » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:Hi Froggie, long time no see, and thanks for the welcome!

Before you jump to your guns... oops sorry it looks like you have :) I am not the only contributor on the blog. You were actually trying to discredit another member's post, my good friend "No Doubt" who you may also remember. And no, from my understanding, I am not a presuppositionist, at least not any more than anyone else is on this planet :D

All the best!

Dan

I did, indeed confuse you with the other writer. Sorry about that, but you all look alike to me. :D
E-lad

Postby Weemaryanne » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 pm

Daniel (Da Pilgrim) wrote:

Is it worth replying to sarcasm? (1)

The whole discussion about the ultimate truth (2) "out there" (3) cannot be discussed with mere empirical evidence, (4) it is a part of it surely, but not the entirety. (5) Often (6) a lot of evidence is about getting rid of unreasonable ideas and replacing them with more reasonable ones. (7) Also just because I say I am a follower of Christ does not mean that I am a follower of common Christian thought. (8)

cheers

(1) Apparently it is.
(2) Definition, please?
(3) Where?
(4) Sez you.
(5) Then what's the rest, please?
(6) How often is "often"?
(7) Reasonable by what criteria?
(8) I can't tell whether you're accidentally disparaging your leader or your fellow followers, but I'm pretty sure you've just disparaged somebody.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby vms » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi Daniel, welcome to the forums. Saying you're a xian, or follower of Christ as you put it, is rather vague. Could mean just about anything. Could you be more specific? Are you a YEC? Do you see the book of Genesis as literal or allegory?
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Next

Return to The SMRT Religion Project