Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Question for Ex-Christians

Many of our members are or were religious at some point in their lives. Feel free to post discussions on religious topics here.

Question for Ex-Christians

Postby E-lad » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

My question concerns how Satan tempts us.
Does he somehow place the temptation before us? Or does he get in our brain somehow and make us make the wrong decision?
Or does he somehow put the thoughts in my brain when I drive past my favorite bar, like, "Hey, Froggie, you need to go in and have just one beer." The I think to myself, "naw, not today." Then Satan somehow communicates to me through my own thoughts, injecting into my consciousness, "Awe heck, you haven't stopped by there for over a week!"

It seems that the devil is running around like a lion and shit like that, able to tempt billions of people at any moment.

Just how in the actual fuck is that supposed to work?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Question for Ex-Christians

Postby zilch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:34 am

It works on the same principle that allows Santa to drop down millions of chimneys in one night. And, as we know:

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 pm

E-lad wrote:My question concerns how Satan tempts us.
Does he somehow place the temptation before us? Or does he get in our brain somehow and make us make the wrong decision?
Or does he somehow put the thoughts in my brain when I drive past my favorite bar, like, "Hey, Froggie, you need to go in and have just one beer." The I think to myself, "naw, not today." Then Satan somehow communicates to me through my own thoughts, injecting into my consciousness, "Awe heck, you haven't stopped by there for over a week!"

It seems that the devil is running around like a lion and shit like that, able to tempt billions of people at any moment.

Just how in the actual fuck is that supposed to work?

The answer to your questions Froggie were dealt with in a movie named "bedazzled". If you're going to watch it get the original with Peter Cook as the Devil & Duddley Moore as the gormless nitwit Satan is trying to tempt. It's a riot.
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby BaldySlaphead » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Great movie. Avoid the remake with Liz Hurley and Brendan Fraser though.
BaldySlaphead

Postby ScottMaugh » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Well, first of all, if your not a born again Christian, odds are that you are possessed by multiple demons. These demons give Satan direct access to your brain, so that he is not only able to read your thoughts, but put new thoughts in your head. The important thing to remember here is that God has nothing to do with it. Even if you find a verse in the Bible that makes it seem like God tempts people, he doesn't. (Unless you are a born-again believer, you can't understand the Bible anyway. It would be like a normal person trying to understand Klingon). And we can't really blame Satan either. It is your fault you are tempted. This is because Adam (your representative) fucked it all up when he ate that apple. Now we all inherit what is called original sin, without which, the Devil would have no way to tempt us. (Please note that this did not apply to Adam, and even though he did not have original sin, he was still able to be tempted). You make think that God could have stopped all this, but why would he? He knew what would happen if Adam at the apple, but he wanted Adam to know what would happen. And if Adam didn't eat it some other jackass would have done it sooner or later.

hope this helps.
ScottMaugh

Postby E-lad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:43 pm

ScottMaugh wrote:Well, first of all, if your not a born again Christian, odds are that you are possessed by multiple demons. These demons give Satan direct access to your brain, so that he is not only able to read your thoughts, but put new thoughts in your head. The important thing to remember here is that God has nothing to do with it. Even if you find a verse in the Bible that makes it seem like God tempts people, he doesn't. (Unless you are a born-again believer, you can't understand the Bible anyway. It would be like a normal person trying to understand Klingon). And we can't really blame Satan either. It is your fault you are tempted. This is because Adam (your representative) fucked it all up when he ate that apple. Now we all inherit what is called original sin, without which, the Devil would have no way to tempt us. (Please note that this did not apply to Adam, and even though he did not have original sin, he was still able to be tempted). You make think that God could have stopped all this, but why would he? He knew what would happen if Adam at the apple, but he wanted Adam to know what would happen. And if Adam didn't eat it some other jackass would have done it sooner or later.

hope this helps.

It has. This is the best explanation I've heard yet. It's now clear as mud. Thanks Scott!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby ScottMaugh » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:54 pm

It has. This is the best explanation I've heard yet. It's now clear as mud. Thanks Scott!

Well...you won't really understand it until you believe it.
ScottMaugh

Postby E-lad » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 pm

ScottMaugh wrote:

Well...you won't really understand it until you believe it.

And I suspect that 'when I believe it' I'll not understand it, but just accept it?
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks for the great explanation, Scott. Possession by multiple demons goes a long way towards explaining my life.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for the great explanation, Scott. Possession by multiple demons goes a long way towards explaining my life.

Scott, yes.

Zilch. I'm dead jealous. I've never been possessed by multiple demons. Not even one. Well, one. For a bit. It kept trying to make me read more Hitchens. Then it got bored and buggered off. My apartments set aside for demons are not very well furnished at all. So I read Hitchens on my own anyway.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Next

Return to The SMRT Religion Project