Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

philosophy

Many of our members are or were religious at some point in their lives. Feel free to post discussions on religious topics here.

Re: philosophy

Postby zilch » Sun May 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Hey, GE, good to hear from you again. I agree, Pigliucci didn't take the EAAN down as thoroughly as should be done. He says: "If we held systematically wrong beliefs about things that are dangerous (predators, poisonous fruits) or good for us (animals we can use or hunt, edible stuff) we would have long ago gone the way of the Dodo[...]". True enough, but this doesn't counter Plantinga's contention that it would be theoretically possible to hold systematically wrong beliefs that still added up to the correct behaviors, which is the silent assumption upon which the EAAN rests.

Two examples Plantinga imagines: frogs might eat flies because they imagine they will turn to princes by so doing, and a caveman wants to pet tigers, but thinks the best way to pet tigers is to run away from them. I'm not kidding, and this is what deserves derision: Plantinga's unspoken assumption that an entire worldview, consisting of isolated beliefs completely disconnected from reality, could somehow be cobbled together by natural selection in such a way that it would allow an organism to survive, despite holding mostly beliefs which are not just wrong, but aren't even remotely analogous to real-world phenomena. That's pretty obviously not how a workable worldview can work. How Plantinga can be considered a philosopher, when he lacks even a modicum of common sense, is beyond me.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Photosynthesis » Sun May 29, 2016 6:24 pm

zilch wrote:I'm not kidding

I know! I checked and checked just to make sure that Plantinga said such idiotic things. After all, I had only heard those from third parties (creationists, but third parties nonetheless). The guy is insufferable to hear, but I was patient, and yes, he did say such idiotic things.
Photosynthesis

Postby zilch » Sun May 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Sorry, I should have included links, but it would have taken a while to dig them up. Yeah, it's unaccountable to me as well, that Plantinga is taken seriously.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Photosynthesis » Sun May 29, 2016 6:53 pm

zilch wrote:Sorry, I should have included links, but it would have taken a while to dig them up. Yeah, it's unaccountable to me as well, that Plantinga is taken seriously.

No need. I did the checking a little while ago. I was about to post a link to one of Plantinga's presentations, but, as I said, the guy is insufferable. I hesitate to "promote" his videos. They're easy to find anyway. So, if anybody is interested, well, it's a free web.
Photosynthesis

Postby E-lad » Mon May 30, 2016 1:28 am

Exactly why I got turned off to philosophy. Most of the arguments are based on a false premise,,,as far as I see it. If you see it differently, that is fine by me. I'm not falling for this shit, even if it means that I am a dumb fuck.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Previous

Return to The SMRT Religion Project