Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

philosophy

Many of our members are or were religious at some point in their lives. Feel free to post discussions on religious topics here.

Re: philosophy

Postby Milo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:05 pm

I am of the opinion that morals don't exist on their own. It is a continual battle to define, hone, and enforce a code of moral behavior. You can't stop and rest on your laurels thinking it is a done deal like the theist. Otherwise we would never have come to view slavery as immoral. Societies can get lazy. We need to always question.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
User avatar
Milo
 
Posts: 3063
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: philosophy

Postby zilch » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Milo wrote:I am of the opinion that morals don't exist on their own. It is a continual battle to define, hone, and enforce a code of moral behavior. You can't stop and rest on your laurels thinking it is a done deal like the theist. Otherwise we would never have come to view slavery as immoral. Societies can get lazy. We need to always question.

Exactly. Morals also evolve.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: philosophy

Postby zilch » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 am

Hey, Danansmith, welcome to our playground here. I'm not sure I understand your question. Is it about the origin of morality?

cheers from sunny Vienna, Scott
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
User avatar
zilch
 
Posts: 15237
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Vienna, Austria

Re: philosophy

Postby ThorGoLucky » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Danansmith wrote:I want to know more about it. I would have been concerned.

Spam bot. The user profile has a spam link.
User avatar
ThorGoLucky
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:54 pm
Location: Corvallis, Oregon, USA

Re: philosophy

Postby E-lad » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 pm

ThorGoLucky wrote:
Danansmith wrote:I want to know more about it. I would have been concerned.

Spam bot. The user profile has a spam link.


I suspected that, but even moreso I wonder why we, here at smrt, don't get any new commentators. I guess we are low key...boring, what the fuck ever....? You got anything?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
User avatar
E-lad
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania

Re: philosophy

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Maybe we lost our edge bro.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
User avatar
Stoned Immaculate
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 am

Re: philosophy

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:41 pm

Stoned Immaculate wrote:Maybe we lost our edge bro.


Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys. Personal problems. My apologies. I've been arranging for the sale of my mother's home and it's getting to me. As to Smrties losing our edge...unthinkable. We're just as forthright as ever. :D
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
User avatar
Chris
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: philosophy

Postby E-lad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Chris wrote:
Stoned Immaculate wrote:Maybe we lost our edge bro.


Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys. Personal problems. My apologies. I've been arranging for the sale of my mother's home and it's getting to me. As to Smrties losing our edge...unthinkable. We're just as forthright as ever. :D


Good luck with your endeavors!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
User avatar
E-lad
 
Posts: 14772
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:48 pm
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania

Re: philosophy

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:12 pm

E-lad wrote:
Chris wrote:
Stoned Immaculate wrote:Maybe we lost our edge bro.


Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys. Personal problems. My apologies. I've been arranging for the sale of my mother's home and it's getting to me. As to Smrties losing our edge...unthinkable. We're just as forthright as ever. :D


Good luck with your endeavors!

Thanks. I appreciate the good wishes
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
User avatar
Chris
 
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:02 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: philosophy

Postby Photosynthesis » Sun May 29, 2016 3:37 pm

The problem is not philosophy itself. The problems is philosophers. It seems rather easy to get a degree in philosophy, which makes it the refuge of apologists and other idiots. It also seems that the entropy has taken its toll on it, since it's easy to get a degree, your professors will most probably be idiots themselves who understand nothing about philosophy, and what will they teach you? Idiocy of course, thus making philosophy into some stupid joke.

I like philosophy. I despise philosophers, Let's have an example. I noticed, immediately, what was wrong with Plantinga's bullshit called the "evolutionary argument against naturalism" (amazingly obvious why it's just crap). Yet, Massimo Pigliucci's take on it was too respectful (actually called for respect towards it!), convoluted, and conceeded too much:

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.ca/2013/07/plantingas-evolutionary-argument.html

Of course, I thought, Massimo is an imbecile (the guy is a philospher). No surprise that Hawkins and others would say that philosophy is dead. Philosophers think that they can do philosophy uninformed of the very stuff they are philosophizing about!

Another example, my student took introductory philosophy, and he came back thinking that he might as well not exist. I ask why? "I might be a computer program!" My answer was: that would mean that you don't know what you are, not that you don't exist. He got it. Why would nobody make the distinction between knowing that you exist, and knowing what you are? It's so basic that we would expect that to be clear for a philosopher, yet this professor didn't know that distinction.

Then, the "classic." "It's all faith!" My answer: How so? "because we could be in the matrix!" That would mean that we don't know what reality is, but that's true with or without matrix fantasies. That doesn't make it possible for us to choose whether we believe or not the reality we confront. Since we cannot choose, it's not faith.

Do you guys get it? My answers are very philosophical in nature, which means I cannot despise philosophy itself. But that professor? She introduces entrpy into the field, and thus makes it appear as if philosophy is despicable.

Ah, finally, PZ Myers? He's an idiot of the highest magnitude.
User avatar
Photosynthesis
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to The SMRT Religion Project

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron