Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The Ark before Noah

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

The Ark before Noah

Postby Milo » Thu May 22, 2014 3:51 pm

The Ark before Noah, Decoding the Story of the Flood

Interesting read about decoding a cuneiform tablet known as the Ark Tablet. The tablet is dated to about 1800 BC. Turns out the ark was round. It was a giant coracle, basically a floating basket covered in pitch. Also the detail about the animals coming on board two by two is very old.

I know Ken Ham disagrees, but the evidence shows the Genesis account was lifted from the much older Sumerian and Babylonian versions. Using Ken's timeline, the Ark Tablet was written about 550 years after the flood. You could say the Ark Tablet confirms the bible but that's a stretch. Being the oldest account by far it must be the most accurate and it conflicts greatly with Genesis. Of course in Ken's mind, Genesis was dictated by God and is of course accurate in every detail! There is far more than Gilgamesh out there and our knowledge expands all the time as new material is discovered and translated.

Apparently, Moses in the bulrushes story was also copied. The interesting thing this book points out is that the basket was a miniature ark. The Noah and Moses stories share details in common.

Good read, I'd recommend picking the book up from the library.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: The Ark before Noah

Postby zilch » Thu May 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Fascinating stuff. Thanks, milo.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Milo wrote:The Ark before Noah, Decoding the Story of the Flood

Interesting read about decoding a cuneiform tablet known as the Ark Tablet. The tablet is dated to about 1800 BC. Turns out the ark was round. It was a giant coracle, basically a floating basket covered in pitch. Also the detail about the animals coming on board two by two is very old.

I know Ken Ham disagrees, but the evidence shows the Genesis account was lifted from the much older Sumerian and Babylonian versions. Using Ken's timeline, the Ark Tablet was written about 550 years after the flood. You could say the Ark Tablet confirms the bible but that's a stretch. Being the oldest account by far it must be the most accurate and it conflicts greatly with Genesis. Of course in Ken's mind, Genesis was dictated by God and is of course accurate in every detail! There is far more than Gilgamesh out there and our knowledge expands all the time as new material is discovered and translated.

Apparently, Moses in the bulrushes story was also copied. The interesting thing this book points out is that the basket was a miniature ark. The Noah and Moses stories share details in common.

Good read, I'd recommend picking the book up from the library.

It's easy to see how religion got started and propagated. Different religions were born in differing geographic locations and they have each evolved to what we have today, and it's also obvious that they continue to evolve as the fundamentalists' beliefs in their ancient artifact, the bible, go up in the smoke of reason.

I'll have a look at the book as soon as I can.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby E-lad » Thu May 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Milo wrote:The Ark before Noah, Decoding the Story of the Flood

This was merely a reflection of the technology of their day. The earlier cultures only had reed vessels, but later the Babylonians are well known to operate squarish wooden barges in the Tigris River.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge