Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Reading Holy Books

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Reading Holy Books

Postby ScottMaugh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Hello,

As a former Evangelical Christian, it goes without saying that I have read and studied the Bible. However, I have neglected most other holy books. I am considering taking some time and reading the holy books of the other major religions.

My motivation is to gain perspective and understanding.

My question: Has anyone else done this or something similar, and was it worth your time? Were there some texts that you found more beneficial than others?

(I guess while I am at it, I might do well to read the Bible again with fresh eyes...)
ScottMaugh

Re: Reading Holy Books

Postby zilch » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm

That sounds like a great idea, Scott. I personally have read bits and pieces of other holy books, but nothing all the way through except the Bible.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 pm

I tried to read the Koran but it was more boring than the Bible. Other than that only bits and pieces of other books like Zilch.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby E-lad » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

ScottMaugh wrote:Hello,

As a former Evangelical Christian, it goes without saying that I have read and studied the Bible. However, I have neglected most other holy books. I am considering taking some time and reading the holy books of the other major religions.

My question: Has anyone else done this or something similar, and was it worth your time? Were there some texts that you found more beneficial than others?

(I guess while I am at it, I might do well to read the Bible again with fresh eyes...)

My last year of high school and first year in college I spent many hours in the libraries studying Comparative Religion.
But now there are thousands of sites on the net to get you started. Here's a couple links for the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_religion

http://www.religionfacts.com/
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 am

ScottMaugh wrote:Hello,

I did religious philosophy while at uni. That was an eye opener. In addition I'm a myth fan from way back.

What texts are you considering reading Scott?
If perchance I have offended, think but this, and all is mended, that you have but slumbered here, while a vision did appear. A Midsummer Night's Dream
Chris

Postby ScottMaugh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking about starting with the Koran. I was also considering the Book of Mormon.
ScottMaugh

Postby ScottMaugh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I'd also be interested in any important secular writings that you feel are culturally or philosophically important.
ScottMaugh

Postby E-lad » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:14 pm

ScottMaugh wrote:Thanks for the input!

I was thinking about starting with the Koran. I was also considering the Book of Mormon.

In my opinion it is rather useless to just stat plowing into the Koran. It takes a hundred hours to read it and most of it makes no sense without context of the historical conditions of that time.
Finding credible sources that use scholarly facts to do comparisons and provide comprehensive overviews will get you much farther, much faster. After that, if one wants to get into the minutiae of the text then go for it, imo.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BaldySlaphead » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I certainly think it has merit to read the Koran but it will depend on what you hope to get out of it.

If your purpose is to have a better understanding of it, then go ahead and read.

If, however, your purpose is to know for certain that you can reject it as an inerrant text, I would propose that it's far, far simpler to note that it takes many of its earlier stories direct from the Bible. So, if you are satisfied that the Biblical Flood is a myth, then you can reject the Koran for its embracing of the same as a literal truth.
BaldySlaphead

Postby ScottMaugh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 pm

In my opinion it is rather useless to just stat plowing into the Koran. It takes a hundred hours to read it and most of it makes no sense without context of the historical conditions of that time.
Finding credible sources that use scholarly facts to do comparisons and provide comprehensive overviews will get you much farther, much faster. After that, if one wants to get into the minutiae of the text then go for it, imo.

Good point froggie. I may take your advice. While I am very interested in learning more about Islam and other religions, I am not interested enough to spend hundreds of hours of my life on it. I guess if someone was coming from islam, and wanted to read the Bible, I would try to save them some time by giving them the highlights, and not having them read all the boring pointless crap.

I certainly think it has merit to read the Koran but it will depend on what you hope to get out of it.

If your purpose is to have a better understanding of it, then go ahead and read.

If, however, your purpose is to know for certain that you can reject it as an inerrant text, I would propose that it's far, far simpler to note that it takes many of its earlier stories direct from the Bible. So, if you are satisfied that the Biblical Flood is a myth, then you can reject the Koran for its embracing of the same as a literal truth.

I hear so many different things about these different religions. Especially islam. Especially lately. Maybe it would be better just to get some friends who are Muslim, and have a few good conversations with them.

Another reason I am interested is that while I do not believe it is the word of God, I learned a lot from the Bible. And I still appreciate a lot of what is in it. I also read the Tao Te Ching, and that was extremely interesting and helpful. There may be some gold nuggets buried in the Koran that I am missing out on. Then again, maybe not.
Last edited by ScottMaugh on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMaugh

Next

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge