Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Mr Philip Pullman

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Mr Philip Pullman

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:51 pm

I've been grounded in these books, Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass plus the companions Lyra's Oxford and Once Upon A Time In The North for almost ten years, and that is why my avatar is a hare which is meant to be my daemon which I got from the books,
For once I am not going to analyse the hell out of them, as Mr Pullman himself said reading is meant to be a democratic process and it's no one's business (not even the writers) to decide what this and that actually means. For me, it blows every literary effort by every other writer (except maybe Mr Alan Garner) out of the sea of works that flow through the world of words.
If any of you good people decided to get ahold of copies of the books they are well worth a read.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: The His Dark Materials Trilogy by Mr Philip Pullman

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:49 am

Yes, I too enjoyed them, and my kids did as well. Very imaginative and gripping.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge