Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

What's in your 'to read' stack?

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

What's in your 'to read' stack?

Postby shadowmouse » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm just starting the "Game of Thrones" series - got the first five volumes

Next up, in no particular order:

Cormac McCarthy - Border Trilogy, Blood Meridian

Harlan Ellison - various anthology collections

Hitchhiker - Douglas Adams' biography

Nick Cave - The Death of Bunny Munroe

Norton's Shakespeare anthology

Shameless plugs: go to bookfinder.com, also check out betterworldbooks.com and powells.com
"Get smart and I'll fuck you over -- sayeth The Lord."
-- Frank Zappa, re: Christianity's preference for perpetuation of ignorance

"I can literally tell you all to fuck off and you'll go awww." — Benedict Cumberbatch
shadowmouse

Re: What's in your 'to read' stack?

Postby zilch » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Sounds good. I must say, though, after reading the Game of Thrones and seeing (a lot) of the films, that the films are better.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Weemaryanne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Alternating between Richard Feynman's Perfectly Reasonable Deviations (from the Beaten Track) and George Carlin's When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?. Apart from the difference in length, there's a surprising sense of consonance between the two volumes. :lol:
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby E-lad » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:16 pm

That's some ambitious reading lists there.
I started reading an actual book about a year ago. Not even sure where it is right now.
I still get and read from cover to cover Scientific American mag each month. Yeah, I still get a real life magazine in the US Mail. I used to get 15 or so back in the day, but just can't give up on my fave- same subscription for over thirty years.

Otherwise I'm learning all I can about woodworking and carving. Kinda consumed by it in a good way, but when I get done with something it is a real and tangible possibly useful, or artistic, thing. And other times I burn it in the fire. :lol:
I think it all stems from wanting to do something that produces a tangible result. It's weird when I think of it.
Most of my life I produced the very tangible result- money, which was somewhat fun, but always having to play by the rules.
Whacking wood gives complete control over the result. I don't know what I'm actually trying to say here other than, No, I don't have any books on my list. If I did though it would be a book about the adventures of early explorers.

PS
I have also elevated the act of procrastination to a high art, so there's that.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge