Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Edward VIII : Now It's Personal

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Edward VIII : Now It's Personal

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:19 pm

With the publication of the latest study on the current Prince of Wales The Heart Of A King by Catherine Mayer it's time to look back to the previous holder of the position, Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David, known as David to his intimates, later Edward Prince of Wales, later Still Edward VIII and later still Edward Duke of Windsor.

Here are the small number of books that don't automatically take the 'David was a Nazi with a weak mind and a small penis' line.

Philip Ziegler : King Edward VIII (Perfect. The authorised biography written with permission from his family so the Establishment can't say it was written by someone with An Agenda).

Compton McKenzie : The Windsor Tapestry (Beautiful and sad. Doesn't pretend to be fair and balanced. Written by a man whose pain was still raw at seeing what his King was forced through by lesser men).

Michael Bloch : The Reign and Abdication of Edward VIII (Just the facts with a bit of protest at the unfairness of it all).

Susan Williams : The People's King (Why was Edward forced off the throne? The answer is in the title).

Denys Blakeway : The Last Dance : 1936 : The Year Our Lives Changed (Covers the whole year, but exposes exactly the kind of man Baldwin was).

Jane Oliver and Robert Gray : The Man We Lost (A pictorial study. Covers his early life and reign and the abdication then his death but not necessarily in chronological order. Definitely from a point of view of friends and allies).

John Van Der Kiste : The Children Of George V : (As the title says, each child, David, Bertie, Mary, Henry, George and the tragic John's life is explored, but the parts about David, pre and post abdication, give a glimpse into what kind of King he would have been with the help and support of the woman he loved).

One more thing : I'm not pretending to be fair and balanced. I think David got a bum deal. What happened to him was not fair, was not right. I identify with him strongly as the eldest with a steadier younger sibling, married and cosy and conventional, put into a place that wasn't naturally mine by accident of birth. I used to wonder, as a thought experiment, what I would do if I was faced with the choice he had, duty or love. I had even made my mind up what I would have done.
Recently, I discovered for real what I would do if forced to decide.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: Edward VIII : Now It's Personal

Postby E-lad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:35 pm

So, you went with love, right?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Edward VIII : Now It's Personal

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Ah, friend. No. I didn't. I did what I call 'a David in reverse' I picked duty over love and I'm slowly coming to terms with it, the undeniable, inevitable truth:

No details, it still hurts, like putting your hand too near a gas jet, mentally recoil from the idea of past pain if you dwell on it.

Sometimes, in certain situations outside one's control having both love and duty as cosy bedfellows is impossible. In a kinder more understanding world, maybe. But not in this one.
But there is duty and there is love, there also a third aspect, joy.
Joy can come from doing one's duty, what is expected of one. Joy can also be found in love which can last but it can be transient, come and gone, reliant too much on feelings and based on nothing really solid.
Love can last. Love can last a lifetime and beyond, but sometimes the problems of love can be too strong and overwhelming in the face of facing up to certain truths.
When Bella came back into my life when my mum's husband's legs collapsed from under him on the 23rd of December last year, she said she would stay with me and I believed her. But she had her own life, she was too young and healthy and full of potential and hope to stay by my side as I did what I should have done and do, and I let her go for her sake.
Like letting a bird trapped in a cage she was never born to.

Maybe I've always found doing the right thing as doing the right thing.

Never mind! At least I know! Onward and upward.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge