Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Book Recommendations

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Book Recommendations

Postby ExPatMatt » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:10 pm

All,

The motion has carried; this is going to be the one-stop shop for all book recommendations that crop up in the forums. Feel free to start new topics to discuss your book(s) of choice, but if we stick the title, author (link to Amazon?) in here then it'll be easier for everyone to find later.

Cool?

Cool.

I'll start us off...

Lamb, Christopher Moore - Amazon

The Geneticist Who Played Hoops with my DNA, David Ewing Duncan - Amazon

Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars (Trilogy), Kim Stanley Robinson - Amazon

Edit:

I hope nobody minds, but I'd like to sort of play librarian on this one so I've gone in and stuck Amazon links (no, I don't work for Amazon or any of its affiliates!) in two posts to make it easier for anyone else to check out these marvelous books. Let me know if you'd rather I didn't sneak into your comment and rearrange the furniture while you're out...

Cheers,
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Re: Book Recommendations

Postby rufustfirefly » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Just finished Why Evolution Is True by Jerry Coyne. Two hundred thirty three pages of beautiful evidence.
rufustfirefly

Postby EternalCritic » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 pm

I'm too lazy to link to Amazon, but I'm currently reading the third book in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Link (EPM)
Check out my blog One god Further.
EternalCritic

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:36 pm

If you want to learn about the Documentary Hypothesis for the first 5 books of the Bible, I can't recommend these two books enough:

Who Wrote the Bible? and The Bible with Sources Revealed both are written by Dr. Richard Friedman

Amazon even offers them together.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Imtherabbit » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes is a great read about a (former) missionary and his life and study of language and culture of the Piraha, a very unique tribe in the Amazon. I highly recommend it :)
You see, in order to remain sane, I have actually gone insane, it's a great defense mechanism.
Come enjoy the wisdom taught by the the Great Bunny
Looking for something more serious? Why not look with Love
Bunnies be wit ya...
Imtherabbit

Postby rufustfirefly » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:07 pm

That was a good book, even if it's from a false convert.
rufustfirefly

Postby Happy Humanist » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Imtherabbit wrote:Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes is a great read about a (former) missionary and his life and study of language and culture of the Piraha, a very unique tribe in the Amazon. I highly recommend it :)

I am definitely going to read this book. Thanks.

p.s. I had once seriously considered being a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators. I even went so far as to apply and I was accepted, but changed my mind. I wanted to go to Papua, New Guinea.
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Postby Imtherabbit » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:32 pm

Happy Humanist wrote:
Imtherabbit wrote:Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes is a great read about a (former) missionary and his life and study of language and culture of the Piraha, a very unique tribe in the Amazon. I highly recommend it :)

p.s. I had once seriously considered being a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators. I even went so far as to apply and I was accepted, but changed my mind. I wanted to go to Papua, New Guinea.

I should probably say that some people expected the book to focus more on his religious viewpoint, but it doesn't. He actually mentions it very little. The story isn't pro or anti religious it's just simply his point of view and what he and his family experienced and learned. He doesn't seem bitter or preachy, he doesn't speak badly of his faith or loss of faith. So far that's been very much in the background which I like. I'm halfway though and he's still learning about their language and culture and giving his opinion on it all. It's a fairly light read, not to overly complex so I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good story and learn what it might be like to do what he did. He explains how he felt at the time and how he feels now looking back so it's pretty nonjudgmental in it's telling of the story and the Piraha culture.

I think you'll enjoy it HH if you want to know what it might have been like if you'd done it :)
You see, in order to remain sane, I have actually gone insane, it's a great defense mechanism.
Come enjoy the wisdom taught by the the Great Bunny
Looking for something more serious? Why not look with Love
Bunnies be wit ya...
Imtherabbit

Postby Happy Humanist » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:45 pm

Imtherabbit wrote:
Happy Humanist wrote:

I should probably say that some people expected the book to focus more on his religious viewpoint, but it doesn't. He actually mentions it very little. The story isn't pro or anti religious it's just simply his point of view and what he and his family experienced and learned. He doesn't seem bitter or preachy, he doesn't speak badly of his faith or loss of faith. So far that's been very much in the background which I like. I'm halfway though and he's still learning about their language and culture and giving his opinion on it all. It's a fairly light read, not to overly complex so I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good story and learn what it might be like to do what he did. He explains how he felt at the time and how he feels now looking back so it's pretty nonjudgmental in it's telling of the story and the Piraha culture.

I think you'll enjoy it HH if you want to know what it might have been like if you'd done it :)

Well my anthropolgy studies started out with me being interested in biblical archaeology (which still interests me) and then after taking cultural anthropology it took a turn toward me wanting to be a missionary to New Guinea. However, after studying evolution as a part of my anthropology studies, I got more and more disenchanted with Christianity. I wound up teaching anthropology and humanities at the community college level. It paid the bills, but I didn't get to do some of the things I had wanted to do, except for going to Egypt while in college. I still putter around in local archeology digs now that I am retired.
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Postby ExPatMatt » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Happy Humanist wrote:However, after studying evolution as a part of my anthropology studies, I got more and more disenchanted with Christianity.

Evolution for the win!
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Next

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge