Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Book Recommendations

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Re: Book Recommendations

Postby Happy Humanist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 am

zilch wrote:And HH- I don't know if Hamlet played tennis, but Shakespeare might well have: he mentions it about ten times in various plays, though not in Hamlet, iirc.

Yeah I know. I read the Merchant of Tennis. :D

p.s. I did a google search and lo and behold tennis was actually mentioned in Hamlet by Polonius. I learned something new. Not that the subject will ever come up over cocktails, but you never know.
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Postby zilch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 am

Happy Humanist wrote:
zilch wrote:And HH- I don't know if Hamlet played tennis, but Shakespeare might well have: he mentions it about ten times in various plays, though not in Hamlet, iirc.

p.s. I did a google search and lo and behold tennis was actually mentioned in Hamlet by Polonius. I learned something new. Not that the subject will ever come up over cocktails, but you never know.

That's what I get for being an upstart crow: here I thought I knew Hamlet pretty well, and I didn't remember that. I probably wasn't paying attention because Polonius was such a tedious old fool.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Happy Humanist wrote:

Was it lawn tennis or real tennis?
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Liz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:48 pm

For a lighter read and another retelling of Shakespeare I can't recommend Fool by Christopher Moore highly enough. It's a retelling of King Lear and is absolutely hilarious and very bawdy! Just finished it over the weekend. Of course The Bard was pretty bawdy himself.
Liz

Postby Happy Humanist » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 pm

BeamStalk wrote:
Happy Humanist wrote:

Was it lawn tennis or real tennis?

Gee I dunno, but here is the quote from Act 2 Scene1

POLONIUS
52 At "closes in the consequence," ay, marry;
53 He closes thus: "I know the gentleman;
54 I saw him yesterday, or t' other day,
55 Or then, or then; with such, or such; and, as you say,
56 There was a' gaming; there o'ertook in's rouse;
57 There falling out at tennis:" or perchance,
58 "I saw him enter such a house of sale,"
59 Videlicet, a brothel, or so forth. See you now;
60 Your bait of falsehood takes this carp of truth:
61 And thus do we of wisdom and of reach,
62 With windlasses and with assays of bias,
63 By indirections find directions out:
64 So by my former lecture and advice,
65 Shall you my son. You have me, have you not?
Happy Humanist

Postby Bullhorn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:44 pm

Here are 4 brilliant books I've read recently: Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief, Sebastian Faulks' Human Traces, Ian McEwan's Black Dogs & Hitchens' Hitch-22.

For what it's worth, there's no greater pleasure in life than settling into a good book, with the possible exception of extended (physical, verbal, or otherwise) foreplay with a beautiful, sensual, & intelligent woman, or say, listening to Dylan or a Bach partita for solo violin or cello, after an evening of wanton indulgence of the senses, with friends...

What else are we here for, if not to have fun & give as much pleasure & joy to ourselves & others as we can, while we can?
Bullhorn

Postby rufustfirefly » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 am

The only thing I've read by Christopher Moore is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, and it was great.
rufustfirefly

Postby ExPatMatt » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:25 pm

rufustfirefly wrote:The only thing I've read by Christopher Moore is Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, and it was great.

Same here.

Judo - the way of the Jew.
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Postby MacGyverJr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 pm

For fun I've been re-reading one of my favorite unfinished Series "The Dresden Files", but in honor of the 85th anniversary of the Scopes Trial, I am working my way through Summer of the Gods. A very in-depth piece on the trial, it's buildup and follow up. It's quite good, a little dry if you aren't a history person though.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire
MacGyverJr
Site Admin

Postby Happy Humanist » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:22 pm

MacGyverJr wrote:For fun I've been re-reading one of my favorite unfinished Series "The Dresden Files", but in honor of the 85th anniversary of the Scopes Trial, I am working my way through Summer of the Gods. A very in-depth piece on the trial, it's buildup and follow up. It's quite good, a little dry if you aren't a history person though.

I am a history person so I will check it out.
Happy Humanist

PreviousNext

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge