Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Book Recommendations

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Re: Book Recommendations

Postby FrodoSaves » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Bullhorn wrote:Here are 4 brilliant books I've read recently: Marcus Zusak's The Book Thief, Sebastian Faulks' Human Traces, Ian McEwan's Black Dogs & Hitchens' Hitch-22.

For what it's worth, there's no greater pleasure in life than settling into a good book, with the possible exception of extended (physical, verbal, or otherwise) foreplay with a beautiful, sensual, & intelligent woman, or say, listening to Dylan or a Bach partita for solo violin or cello, after an evening of wanton indulgence of the senses, with friends...

What else are we here for, if not to have fun & give as much pleasure & joy to ourselves & others as we can, while we can?

I can vouch for The Book Thief and Hitch-22 (with a long review of the latter to follow in a couple of days).
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby MacGyverJr » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Happy Humanist wrote:
MacGyverJr wrote:For fun I've been re-reading one of my favorite unfinished Series "The Dresden Files", but in honor of the 85th anniversary of the Scopes Trial, I am working my way through Summer of the Gods. A very in-depth piece on the trial, it's buildup and follow up. It's quite good, a little dry if you aren't a history person though.

I am a history person so I will check it out.

Having finished it a while back, and having had time to reflect on it now, it's truely interesting how little thinks have changed in regards to the creation/evolution "debate" in the last 100 years.

Scientists find evidence ... creationists deny evidence because it's {insert phrase here}

• Evil
  • Not what the bible says
  • Unprovable without an eternal "standard"
  • Responsible for making kids act like animals
  • Responsable for numerous atrocities
  • et al
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire
MacGyverJr
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 am

Mid way through reading Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven". I'd previously read "Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild" but this seems to be more comprehensively written. What's more its scathing about fundies, in this case Mormon fundies.

I'm about a 1/4 of the way through and holy cow - this is A grade, fucked up, paedophilia-saturated, magic underwear crazyness just being throughly exposed. I just hope he keeps the pace and research level as high as it currently is.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby Happy Humanist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Vagon wrote:Mid way through reading Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven". I'd previously read "Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild" but this seems to be more comprehensively written. What's more its scathing about fundies, in this case Mormon fundies.

I'm about a 1/4 of the way through and holy cow - this is A grade, fucked up, paedophilia-saturated, magic underwear crazyness just being throughly exposed. I just hope he keeps the pace and research level as high as it currently is.

I saw that movie "Into the Wild." Very despressing. Thoreau he was not.
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Postby Happy Humanist » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:43 pm

I am reading Stephen Hawking's new book The Grand Design and all I can say is WOW. It blows your mind and I'm having quite a trip reading it.

It is different than any other physics book that I've ever read, including his other books. I love Hawking's style and his subtle sense of humor interspersed thoughout the book. I am about half way though (it's a surprisingly easy read).

Without spoiling it for anyone, I will just say be prepared for some radically new insights (even though the actual science has been around at least 10-15 years).
No Mr. Ham, the Flintstones is not a documentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDpquig_3g
Happy Humanist

Postby Vagon » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:55 am

Happy Humanist wrote:
Vagon wrote:Mid way through reading Jon Krakauer's "Under the Banner of Heaven". I'd previously read "Into Thin Air" and "Into the Wild" but this seems to be more comprehensively written. What's more its scathing about fundies, in this case Mormon fundies.

Yeah the controversy about whether he was extremely naive or extremely ideal is commented a lot better in the book, but the cinematography in the film is beautiful. Considering Thoreau was a fat bastard and fairly hypocritical in his ideals I'm not sure saying he wasn't Thoreau is too much of a thorn in his side :)
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby FrodoSaves » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:45 pm

Vagon wrote:
Happy Humanist wrote:

Yeah the controversy about whether he was extremely naive or extremely ideal is commented a lot better in the book, but the cinematography in the film is beautiful. Considering Thoreau was a fat bastard and fairly hypocritical in his ideals I'm not sure saying he wasn't Thoreau is too much of a thorn in his side :)

Yeah, depressing film. Can't say I was too convinced by his misguided idealism, but I agree about the filming. I enjoyed Into Thin Air so thanks for the recommendation Vagon.
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby ThorGoLucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi, I'm new to WeArSMRT!

The Happy Atheist by P.Z. Myers is a quick read, and I felt vindicated at reading some of my thoughts put into print by a prominent atheist. You can pretty much pick a chapter at random, as they aren't necessarily linked, and the chapters range from short to very short.

A favorite chapter is The Purpose-Free Life, a berating of Rick Warren's slave manual, A Purpose Driven Life.

Another favorite chapter is The Great Desecration, about the outrage over the supposed desecration of Eucharist crackers. Hanging on to a cracker is a desecration yet getting your spit on it, digesting it, and pooping it out somehow isn't desecration.

Recommended for those that enjoy seeing the spotlight of reason shown on absurdity and have a good laugh at it. Life is good, especially with such entertaining yet thoughtful reading. And I feel SMRTer!
ThorGoLucky

Postby E-lad » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:24 pm

ThorGoLucky wrote:Hi, I'm new to WeArSMRT!

The Happy Atheist by P.Z. Myers is a quick read, and I felt vindicated at reading some of my thoughts put into print by a prominent atheist. You can pretty much pick a chapter at random, as they aren't necessarily linked, and the chapters range from short to very short.

A favorite chapter is The Purpose-Free Life, a berating of Rick Warren's slave manual, A Purpose Driven Life.

Another favorite chapter is The Great Desecration, about the outrage over the supposed desecration of Eucharist crackers. Hanging on to a cracker is a desecration yet getting your spit on it, digesting it, and pooping it out somehow isn't desecration.

Recommended for those that enjoy seeing the spotlight of reason shown on absurdity and have a good laugh at it. Life is good, especially with such entertaining yet thoughtful reading. And I feel SMRTer!

Greetings, TGL! Qnd welcome.

If you get a chance, mosey over to the "Foyer" and do a short introduction.

'Froggie'
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby ThorGoLucky » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:29 pm

E-lad wrote:Greetings, TGL! Qnd welcome.

If you get a chance, mosey over to the "Foyer" and do a short introduction.

'Froggie'

Thanks for the welcome. Will do on the intoductiony thingy. I was looking for such a section/area/forum.
ThorGoLucky

PreviousNext

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge