Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Book Recommendations

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Re: Book Recommendations

Postby Jessica » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm

Books I have found intriguing, educational and entertaining;

The Secret Life of Puppets by Victoria Nelson

Soul Made Flesh by Carl Zimmerman

The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes

An Ocean of Air by Gabrielle Walker
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby E-lad » Mon May 05, 2014 1:57 pm

Jessica wrote:Books I have found intriguing, educational and entertaining;

The Secret Life of Puppets by Victoria Nelson

Soul Made Flesh by Carl Zimmerman

The Age of Wonder by Richard Holmes

An Ocean of Air by Gabrielle Walker

What are these book thingies that you refer to?
Yeah, I haven't read a real book in over two years. Not proud of that and not sure what would get me back into reading them, but thanks for the recommendations, Jessica.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby 3point14rat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:34 pm

After reading a few series of fantasy novels from my youth that I am trying to get my son to read, I thought I'd get into something a bit more real.

So I read "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston. He's the hiker who cut his own arm off to avoid dying of dehydration. What a crazy book.

I didn't know anything about the guy because when the incident originally happened I was busy with life and never watched the news. As it turns out Aron is a smart guy who isn't afraid to toot his own horn... but holy cow does he have a lot to toot about. The guy is a mountain climbing machine who has had more outdoor adventures in a few years than entire towns of people have in a lifetime!

The details of his days trapped by his arm then his escape are naturally the most gripping, but I wasn't sure how he was going to fill 340 pages with details of that one situation. It turns out most of the book tells of his life in the outdoors. Luckily he's a decent writer who had a crazy life up to that point allowing him to add enough interesting stories around the main one to make the book worth buying.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby zilch » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:21 am

One of the nice things about having an ebook reader (I've got a Kobo) is that you can download tons of classics from places such as Project Gutenberg for free. I just read, and highly recommend, Edmund Gosse's Father and Son: A Study of Two Temperaments. You can also read it online at that link.

Edmund was the son of Phillip Henry Gosse, who, as many of you will remember, is responsible for the "Omphalos" theory, the idea that the world was created with an appearance of age. Edmund was brought up very lovingly but very strictly in a kind of fundamentalism that makes most American fundies look half hearted. His struggle with his father and belief is depicted very insightfully- the book has been called the first psychologically written autobiography. It's also a perspicacious look at country life in England in the mid- 19th century. Check it out.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:59 pm

The Doctor Who History Collection, published by the BBC.
One Doctor per book per era. All real life events, or at least based on real life events.

Doctor Who was originally a Saturday tea time adventure for children, but these books cover very adult subjects. If you are thinking of purchasing them for young children I'd read them first as they might cause distress. But be prepared for an uncomfortable read!

The First Doctor's adventure, The Witch Hunters, with companions Ian and Barbara and Susan, is the most distressing of those I've read so far of the four I've read. It's set in Salem during the witch hysteria and it goes into detail about exactly what could happen if religion holds the secular arm, and what happens to the human mind when faced with such unreason.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby 3point14rat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:18 pm

Jessica wrote:The Doctor Who History Collection, published by the BBC.
One Doctor per book per era. All real life events, or at least based on real life events.

Doctor Who was originally a Saturday tea time adventure for children, but these books cover very adult subjects. If you are thinking of purchasing them for young children I'd read them first as they might cause distress. But be prepared for an uncomfortable read!

The First Doctor's adventure, The Witch Hunters, with companions Ian and Barbara and Susan, is the most distressing of those I've read so far of the four I've read. It's set in Salem during the witch hysteria and it goes into detail about exactly what could happen if religion holds the secular arm, and what happens to the human mind when faced with such unreason.

I've heard lots about how good Dr. Who is, but I have never taken the time to watch it. Think today will be the day I investigate the show and see if it is something I would enjoy.

I'm off to Youtube now...
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:20 pm

I've heard lots about how good Dr. Who is, but I have never taken the time to watch it. Think today will be the day I investigate the show and see if it is something I would enjoy.

I'm off to Youtube now...

Oh, yes! please do! I don't think you can get any full episode on YouTube but don't let a certain Doctor's way put you off. Try and get an episode containing each one, a full episode.
For example I like the Second Doctor (the late Patrick Troughton) the Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and to a smaller extent the Eleventh (Matt Smith) and First (the late William Hartnell) Doctors. And I have very little time for the others. Bella prefers the Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison) and has no time for the Second. The Forth (Tom Baker) and the Sixth (Colin Baker) are usually the top and least popular.
You might have to watch a few Doctors to find the one you identify with!
Jessica

Previous

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge