Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Bart Ehrman's New Book | "Forged"

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Bart Ehrman's New Book | "Forged"

Postby E-lad » Sat May 14, 2011 10:31 pm

I just heard about Ehrman's newest book, "Forged," in which he outlines the scholarly work that shows which parts of the New Testament are "forged," which of them are probably "authentic," and which ones are "Contested." He's stating that half the NT is "Forged."
I haven't decided to buy it yet, but here are some links to some reviews.

Centuries of Lying in the Name of Christianity: A Review of Bart D. Ehrman's 'Forged'.

n Ben Witherington's rebuttal to Ehrman's book.

Half of New Testament forged, Bible scholar says

""“I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come,” the man –the Apostle Paul - says in the Bible's 2 Timothy. “I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith.”

The passage is one of the most dramatic scenes in the New Testament. Paul, the most prolific New Testament author, is saying goodbye from a Roman prison cell before being beheaded. His goodbye veers from loneliness to defiance and, finally, to joy.

There’s one just one problem - Paul didn’t write those words. In fact, virtually half the New Testament was written by impostors taking on the names of apostles like Paul. At least according to Bart D. Ehrman, a renowned biblical scholar, who makes the charges in his new book “Forged.”

“There were a lot of people in the ancient world who thought that lying could serve a greater good,” says Ehrman, an expert on ancient biblical manuscripts.In “Forged,” Ehrman claims that:

* At least 11 of the 27 New Testament books are forgeries.

* The New Testament books attributed to Jesus’ disciples could not have been written by them because they were illiterate.

* Many of the New Testament’s forgeries were manufactured by early Christian leaders trying to settle theological feuds.""
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Re: Bart Ehrman's New Book | "Forged"

Postby Weemaryanne » Sun May 15, 2011 12:16 am

Do you mean to tell me The Word Of Gawd isn't . . . isn't . . . KOSHER?

Hark, hark! Methinks I hear shriekin'
As Ehrman the Scripture's critiquin':
"Dear Lawd, strike me dead,
For the Bible I've read
Ain't kosher! -- in a manner o' speakin'".
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby E-lad » Sun May 15, 2011 9:38 am

Oh man......
There are over 25,000 archaelogical discoveries that support scriptures. Not one contradicts or disproves it.
So I don't know where this guy is coming from, but no worries, the Bible has and always will stand the test of time against any so called experts regardless of the number of letters behind their name or even their familiarity with christianity.

Yeah right. "The problem with the internet is that people can state unattributed statements as facts."----Abraham Lincoln

But funnier yet is that she responds to above quote:
I just hate that so many unbelievers are so swayed when people use the terms "scholar" and "theologian" etc. as if that gives them special understanding.

That reminds me of one of my all time favorite quotes. Pastor Ray Mummert, after the devastating decision where Judge Jones ruled against the Dover School District who tried to inject Intelligent Design into the science curriculum:

We’ve been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of our culture.

http://www.observer.com/2009/books/dunce-confederacy

Yeah, just don't you hate it when those intelligent, educated people come around...being...like...intelligent and educated......
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby lehman scott » Sun May 15, 2011 9:52 am

In
Beccasue wrote:
attacking the Bible and denigrating it is the one thing that still makes me burn!! It is one thing, when it is someone who is ignorant of the Bible makes such claims, but to have this surrounded with "academic credentials" and someone who changed his mind just gives credence to the lies. I just think of all of the unknowing people this influences who say "See - intelligent people don't believe once they really study it" !!!!!!

It must be unsettling when your loudest detractors used to be among your most ardent adherents...
It seems like it's on an hourly basis now that something is reported that just continues to confirm that these are in deed the last days.

...and WeSMRTers will be here to catch you if and when you fall anywhere in our vicinity when you finally realize he is never coming back, Becca... and never even existed.

Is anybody non-RR commenting over there?
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am

lehman- I used to post at RR, but it became too depressing.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby lehman scott » Sun May 15, 2011 4:00 pm

zilch wrote:lehman- I used to post at RR, but it became too depressing.

And to quote Beccasue:
Jesus died in order to save my pitiful existence....

How depressing indeed...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby rufustfirefly » Sun May 15, 2011 6:48 pm

They're not very fond of criticism at Rapture Ready.
rufustfirefly

Postby lehman scott » Sun May 15, 2011 10:34 pm

rufustfirefly wrote:They're not very fond of criticism at Rapture Ready.

Why am I somehow not surprised? Methinks I shall make the attempt regardless... should be good for a few shits and giggles, at least....
- - Barack Obama

- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby Bowler Hat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:17 pm

These people need to read the books by John Loftus. They'd lose their faith in an instant. 8-)
I think, therefore I'm an Atheist.
Bowler Hat

Next

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge