Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Attention: Books free to good home

As a group, many of us love to read. The reading group meets here.

Attention: Books free to good home

Postby Milo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

My husband is a book addict. So were his parents. Needless to say we are overrun with books. We are in the process of winnowing out the library. For the price of postage I will be glad to send any book I have that you might like to own. Most of the books are history or political.

I can't list all the titles, but in the first box headed for Goodwill and probable destruction are the Winston Churchill set: Their Finest Hour, The Grand Alliance, and Triumph and Tragedy, Hinge of Fate, Closing the Ring, The Gathering Storm.

PM me if you are interested. I will post more titles upon request.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Attention: Books free to good home

Postby E-lad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Milo wrote:My husband is a book addict. So were his parents. Needless to say we are overrun with books. We are in the process of winnowing out the library. For the price of postage I will be glad to send any book I have that you might like to own. Most of the books are history or political.

I can't list all the titles, but in the first box headed for Goodwill and probable destruction are the Winston Churchill set: Their Finest Hour, The Grand Alliance, and Triumph and Tragedy, Hinge of Fate, Closing the Ring, The Gathering Storm.

PM me if you are interested. I will post more titles upon request.

When my Father passed on several years ago, I inherited a couple hundred books. I found that there is a club in this area that constantly circulates books. So about once a week I would drop off a box of them on the front porch of one of the members. He would take out what he wanted to read and drop the rest to the next person. Maybe they have something like that in your area.

Sad to say, I've only read a couple real books in the last year and I've passed on most of my classics/ favorites to my kids.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Milo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 pm

I wish I didn't mind as much as I do or I would throw them all away.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby E-lad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Milo wrote:I wish I didn't mind as much as I do or I would throw them all away.

I know that feeling, intimately.
I've been a collector of all sorts of things for as long as I can remember, probably bordering on hoarder status, until about five years ago when I started to see that our house, and more specifically my den, was starting to look like a land fill. I mean, I justified it by noting that the things I collect have some actual value. But I had to start somewhere, so I determined to break my emotional bond to my books by, 1- Making a "secret hiding place" by totally defacing my college America Literature book, and 2- finding new homes for them all. Most of the Civil war stuff went to #2 son, all the philosophy to #1 daughter, and all the engineering/ math to #3 son, and the balance to the local book exchange program, with the instruction that they could do any damn thing they wanted to with them, just don't tell me if they throw them out. hehe....

Then I took a bunch of my antiques/ vintage stuff and passed it on to the kids that expressed an interest in them. Now though, I'm really glad I did that since I have room to bring home more stuff.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Tilia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Milo wrote:I wish I didn't mind as much as I do or I would throw them all away.

I don't like throwing books away. You could try bookcrossing
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Have you offered them to your local library, or perhaps a high school/university? With budget constraints at an all-time high, I'd expect someone to snap them up.

And please keep listing your planned giveaways; I'm not interested in the Churchill but I could be persuaded to take something else....
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 am

iPad + bit torrent = READ ALL THE THINGS!

Seriously though, with my bad vision, my iPad really did re-open the world of literature to me. I'm even writing. Books! I love books! God, I'm alone.
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Postby zilch » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:08 pm

I can heartily sympathize. I've had to throw out 90% of my books twice now- it's very easy to love books and want to have them. But I don't want to end up like my philologist friend Karin, who has overflowing bookcases on every wall, and piles of books you have to navigate around, starting in the entrance hall. So I try to keep the numbers down.

Can't add much to the suggestions f-man, linde, and wee have offered. The local branch of the Vienna City Library is happy to take any books I give them, and we have book exchange/donation places here too.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Tilia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

zilch wrote:
Can't add much to the suggestions f-man, linde, and wee have offered.

Has somebody been reading the signs in a botanical garden?
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby zilch » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 am

Tilia wrote:
zilch wrote:
Can't add much to the suggestions f-man, linde, and wee have offered.

Has somebody been reading the signs in a botanical garden?

No, I learned that bit from the Carmina Burana.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to The SMRT Bibliophile Lounge