Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Creationism banned from UK science classrooms

Evolution is the hot-button topic that brought us together, so we come here to discuss the latest news and discoveries. Think you can refute it? This is a great place to post your thoughts also.

Creationism banned from UK science classrooms

Postby BaldySlaphead » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:00 am

The UK Government has taken steps to ban creationism from the science classroom.

It was already illegal to teach creationism as scientific fact in state schools controlled by the local authorities, but Academies - which are publicly funded schools that control themselves and which do not have to follow the national curriculum (another disgrace, if you ask me) - and Free Schools - which are essentially identical to Academies but which can be set up by groups of parents, teachers, charities, trusts, religious and voluntary groups where they deem the current state school provision in an area to be inadequate.

If you spotted how Free Schools is the perfect way for religious folks to indoctrinate pupils, congratulations. Indeed, this is what they've been doing.

The Government has changed the rules to preclude all Academies and Free Schools, both those that already exist and those that will open in the future, from teaching pseudoscientific ideas such as creationism as scientifically valid. The changes have been made through extending an explicit ban to all future Academies and Free Schools, but also by clarifying that it believes the requirement to teach a broad and balanced curriculum means no existing Academies and Free Schools can teach pseudoscience either. The British Humanist Association (BHA) has welcomed the news as representing a significant step towards achieving one of its longstanding policy goals.

In 2012 the Government precluded all future Free Schools (i.e. those not already open) from teaching pseudoscience as science and required them to teach evolution, as well as requiring them to promote British values. However it decided not to extend these requirements to Academies, and these changes did not apply to Free Schools that already existed.

But in April the Government extended all of these rules to future stand-alone Academies (i.e. those not part of a multi-Academy trust that do not already exist), as well as introducing new rules to stop religious discrimination in Free Schools from extending beyond the areas of admissions, employment, RE and assemblies (i.e. into areas such as other parts of the curriculum, uniform or food policies).

Now the Government has also extended these rules to future Academies that are part of multi-Academy trusts, meaning all future Academies are covered by them. But in addition it has also introduced new clauses for Church Academies helpfully clarifying the meaning of creationism and the fact that it is a minority view within the Church of England and Catholic Church, but also stating that ‘the requirement on every academy and free school to provide a broad and balanced curriculum, in any case prevents the teaching of creationism as evidence based theory in any academy or free school.’

In other words, in the Government’s view, if an Academy or Free School teaches creationism as scientifically valid then it is breaking the requirement to provide a broad and balanced curriculum. As every Academy and Free School has this requirement in its funding agreement, the implication of this interpretation is that no Academy and Free School, existing or future, can teach pseudoscience.

My bold.

However, public schools - which confusingly are those entirely outside of state control and which are funded by parents - remain free to teach whatever they please.

More: https://humanism.org.uk/2014/06/18/vict ... m-science/
BaldySlaphead

Re: Creationism banned from UK science classrooms

Postby zilch » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 pm

So Christians are persecuted in the UK.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby vms » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 pm

I knew it was only a matter of time. Hammy is whining about this on his fb page.

Creation Banned from State-Funded Schools in the UK

It’s another sign of the increasing secularization of the Western world—as a result of a minority viewpoint that is being imposed on a public seemingly oblivious to the increasing loss of religious liberty (and increasing intolerance of Christianity) that is going on around them.

As reported in a number of news sources around the world this week, the biased-filled documents from the Department of Education in the United Kingdom feature this statement about the new standards: “They explicitly require that pupils are taught about the theory of evolution, and prevent academy trusts from teaching ‘creationism’ as scientific fact.” In other words, teaching creation as science has been banned in state-funded schools. And although they say “theory of evolution”—the education department wants the belief in molecules-to-man evolution taught as fact. You can read more about this sad news at http://goo.gl/7POZbF.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

I just cannot imagine the life of Ken Ham, the besiged, persecuted, would-be saviour of western civilization with his bunker mentality, spending every day immersed in his idiotic beliefs and frantically writing his absurd nonsense; obsessively combing through the internet hunting down his enemies, compulsively responding to every criticism.
Last edited by E-lad on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:37 pm

E-lad wrote:I just cannot imagine the life of Ken Ham, the besiged, persecuted, would-be saviour of western civilization with his bunker mentality, spending every day immersed in his idiotic beliefs and frantically writing his absurd nonsense.

I know! His whole life must be so exhausting. I'd like to ask him, don't you wish there was some evidence for your inane beliefs outside of just taking the bible's word for it? He'd sleep much better I imagine.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby 3point14rat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:42 pm

And although they say “theory of evolution”—the education department wants the belief in molecules-to-man evolution taught as fact.

I wonder how many times Mr. Pig Meat has been told what the word 'theory' means in a scientific setting? Just imagine all the emails, f/f conversations, forum messages, letters, debates and other ways he's been told... must be in the thousands by now.

Willful ignorance grinds my gears worse than anything else. If there were a hell, guys like him would be heading straight to the basement of it when they die.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby vms » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:11 pm

3point14rat wrote:
And although they say “theory of evolution”—the education department wants the belief in molecules-to-man evolution taught as fact.

I wonder how many times Mr. Pig Meat has been told what the word 'theory' means in a scientific setting? Just imagine all the emails, f/f conversations, forum messages, letters, debates and other ways he's been told... must be in the thousands by now

Hammy knows full well what "scientific theory" means. Here's one quote by him:

Evolution is just a theory. (“Theory” has a stronger meaning in scientific fields than in general usage; it is better to say that evolution is just a hypothesis or one model to explain the untestable past.)

They try to dismiss evolution by claiming it's not a scientific theory on their web-site.
https://answersingenesis.org/theory-of- ... en-theory/

So in this case he's relying on the ignorance of his minions as to what theory means in science.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Ryk » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:15 am

I was thinking about Ham and it occurred to me that he is in many ways like a friend of mine who is a high functioning autistic. My friend, unlike Ham is a genuinely nice guy he is also quite bright. However one of the effects of his autism is that he personalizes everything. If things at work aren't going well it is because someone is trying to mess with him. If someone says something he disagrees with they are harassing him and if someone tells him he is wrong they are attacking him. Fortunately at my company we are pretty close knit and people are aware of his issues and deal with him in a fairly respectful and accommodating manner. So he generally gets along and he is a good person. Reading Kens persecution rants though I thought what if my friend were in a public position where people took his feelings of persecution seriously and acted on them he would likely be a lot like the hamster only smarter. Not implying Kenny is autistic, just saying he has put himself in a place where his feelings of persecution and victimhood give him power.
I like a little rebellion now and then.
Thomas Jefferson
Dead Ryks Underground
Ryk

Postby zilch » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:51 am

That's an astute assessment, Ryk. I'm glad your autistic friend has support so that he can do his best.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Evolution...Not Just for Monkeys Anymore