Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Great Way to Look at it

Evolution is the hot-button topic that brought us together, so we come here to discuss the latest news and discoveries. Think you can refute it? This is a great place to post your thoughts also.

Great Way to Look at it

Postby 3point14rat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:12 pm

The article at http://theweek.com/article/index/265653/why-you-should-stop-believing-in-evolution puts how to think about evolution in a new light (to me).

So if someone asks, "Do you believe in evolution," they are framing it wrong. That's like asking, "Do you believe in blue?"

Evolution is nothing more than a fairly simple way of understanding what is unquestionably happening. You don't believe in it β€” you either understand it or you don't.
*my bold*

Sometimes it's not about thinking something new, it's about thinking about something old in a new way. :idea: And the way evolution is put in the quote above is a great way of thinking of it. Maybe I'm the last one on the wagon regarding this, but I like it.

It's gonna be a good day.
β€œIt is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Re: Great Way to Look at it

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Because of this I am careful in the way I use the word, 'believe.'

For years now if someone asks me if I believe in evolution I say, "No, but I do trust in the veracity of the many lines of evidence for evolution and consider it to be a settled scientific fact."
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Return to Evolution...Not Just for Monkeys Anymore