Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The Selfish Gene

Evolution is the hot-button topic that brought us together, so we come here to discuss the latest news and discoveries. Think you can refute it? This is a great place to post your thoughts also.

The Selfish Gene

Postby rufustfirefly » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:25 am

rufustfirefly

Re: The Selfish Gene

Postby E-lad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:31 am

In the end, it was Michael Rodgers of Oxford University Press who enthusiastically published The Selfish Gene,[in 1976] after demanding β€œI must have that book!” when he saw early draft chapters. It was an immediate success. Dawkins went on to write books that were better in certain ways. The Extended Phenotype was more groundbreaking, The Blind Watchmaker more persuasive, Climbing Mount Improbable more logical, River out of Eden and Unweaving the Rainbow more lyrical, The Ancestor's Tale more encyclopaedic, The God Delusion more controversial. But they were all variations on the themes he so eloquently and adventurously set out in The Selfish Gene.

40th anniversary of the publishing of The selfish Gene.
He can be eccentric and say stupid things, but he changed the dialogue on evolution.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby 3point14rat » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 pm

I don't 'follow' atheists or atheism, but I did see something on the internet last week that said Dawkins is in hot water with Feminists at a university.

I hope no one takes what he said or did, or more likely misinterpreted what he said or did, and uses it to taint his work. It's irrelevant to the reasoning, what the reasoner does or thinks in other areas.

A reasoned argument stands on its own, hopefully people don't let ad hominem cloud their understanding of that fact.
β€œIt is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby nycarmody » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:54 am

Dawkins is always saying stupid, vaguely sexist stuff. British culture is somewhat worse than American culture that way.... And he's much better of in a long form book with an editor than off the top of his head. You're right, though, this feminist will continue to buy his books.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
nycarmody

Postby E-lad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:28 am

nycarmody wrote:Dawkins is always saying stupid, vaguely sexist stuff. British culture is somewhat worse than American culture that way.... And he's much better of in a long form book with an editor than off the top of his head. You're right, though, this feminist will continue to buy his books.

Well said, nycarmody. Btw, welcome to our forums!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 pm

I'll second the Frogman here, nycarmody. I agree with you and welcome!
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby nycarmody » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Thanks guys. That being said, I really appreciate the original posted article. While the ideas set forth in the book were amazing to me, I had no idea of the effect they had on the entire body of evolutionary biology.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
nycarmody

Return to Evolution...Not Just for Monkeys Anymore