Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Please can I stay ?

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

Please can I stay ?

Postby ajbjasus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:31 am

After making a few sporadic posts I spotted the foyer, so somewhat belatedly I would like to introduce myself and see if you'll let me stay.

I think I've always been an athiest, but never thought to label myself as such, since I'm not very good at clubs, societies and commitees.

The religious boys had their chance to brainwash me - at the age of 11 I won a scholarship to a school established for the education of the sons of methodist ministers. My parents weren't in the least bit religious, but since this was a fancy UK public school, and they could never have afforded to send me to one, off I went !

To be fair, even though I went to chapel every day, it generally wasn't too heavy - just a bit miserable, in that special way the methodists have. I do recall two occasions when trainee teachers on secondment did things like preach a sermon about the lake of fire, and glibly mention that in biblical times people lived for hundreds of years. We all just dismissed it as silliness, and never gave it a second thought.

I then won another scholarship to study biochemistry at Oxford a four year course ! Academically it was magical, and we had the real sense that we were realling getting insights into what life was all about and how it worked. I remember thinking that it would be great if everyone could share that insight, but it really only came after many years of study. I first encountered Richard Dawkins there - it was around the selfish gene time, and atheism wasn't on the agenda.

Sadly I then got very disillusioned with science. I did an Msc at another university which looked at environmental issues in relation to the nuclear industry. British Nuclear fuels were appointed as my external examiner, and basically said that if I didn't take out the controversial (and critical) bits they would fail the dissertation. I then got a job in the speciality chemicals industry to develop a biotechnological manufacturing process. I soon found that the core research, which a university had been funded to do, had been mis-stated - I presume to keep the grant money flowing, and it was up to me to break the bad news, and talk myself out of a job !

I then taught for 5 years - loved it, and got into software development, and now run a speciality software comapny looking at voice technologies.

I finally decided that should call myself an atheist albeit a fairly passive one- mainly after stumbling on AIG (which I thought was an elaborate joke) and LIW, and picking up on Dawkins again. I gave up with Comfort, after some misguided (but genuine) postings by myself (2bsure) to talk about where science had led me personally, and organising a secular funeral service for my dad - I wrote here about that, and the flak it attracted.

So, I'm a bit low key, and with a northern sense of humour, and my insignificant place in the cosmos, but would like to stay, if that's okay ?
ajbjasus

Re: Please can I stay ?

Postby zilch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

Wow, thanks for the great bio, ajbjasus! And of course you're more than welcome- I think I can speak for everyone here on that. Beer's in the fridge, froggie will show up at some point demanding dues, etc.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby ajbjasus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:59 am

Zilch - cheers. I'm off to the Tirol in June - so I be trying some of that there Austrian beer - Huber Brau and Zipfer I think, plus a cheeky wheat beer or two.
ajbjasus

Postby zilch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:16 am

ajbjasus wrote:Zilch - cheers. I'm off to the Tirol in June - so I be trying some of that there Austrian beer - Huber Brau and Zipfer I think, plus a cheeky wheat beer or two.

Wow, really? Any chance of stopping by Vienna? Beer's on me here.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby ajbjasus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:37 am

Very kind Zilch - probably not on this trip unfortunately, as I'm flying in and en famille. It's been a long time since I was in Vienna - I had a happy time there doing some work for Coca Cola - they based their Eastern European operations there for some time. A lovely town, I stayed at the Bristol Hotel near the Opera House - so a return visit is definitely on the cards, and I'll make you put your hand in your pocket then !. I'm in Kitzbuhel this time for some healthy and improving outdoor activities. And beer.
ajbjasus

Postby zilch » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:51 am

I'm begreaved to hear that you are working for Satan (also known as Coca-Cola), ajbjasus. But the offer of beer stands. Have a great time in Felix Austria.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby ajbjasus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 am

Only a short contract - for it is the devils brew, for sure !
ajbjasus

Postby E-lad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am

Welcome ajbjasus!

Thanks for the CV. That was a very interesting educational experience! I've enjoyed your posts.

.........and see if you'll let me stay.

That's kinda funny since we have no mechanism in place to not let someone stay. There are no rules here, mostly to show the fundies that a forum can indeed be run without rules, bannings, and censorship. We are wide open in every respect.

However, there is this niggling matter of your dues which are now...due at the one time cost of 299.95US. In your case though I am able to extend the Oxford discount making the dues 19.99US, which you may remit to my PayPal account at your earliest convenience. Thanks for your speedy attention to this matter.
(dues money will not be used to buy beer except in cases of emergency such as snakebite, depression, or manic states.)

Froggie
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby ajbjasus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am

Froggie - you're relentless - just as Zilch warned me. It's a very generous discount for Oxonians though - most kind !

As an aside, on the Oxford front I met some very interesting Dons, and apart from Dawkins, was lucky enough to learn about the TCA cycle by Hans Krebs himself. Unfortunately the only thing I remember him telling us was a very bad joke he made which involved a picture of his bicycle
ajbjasus

Postby E-lad » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:33 pm

.....was lucky enough to learn about the TCA cycle by Hans Krebs himself.

I see. I hear there were some other notables that hung around at Oxford back in the day.

My only claim to rubbing elbows with fame is that I went to the Creation Museum with PZ Myers (and I have a pic to prove it.)

Take care!

F/
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Next

Return to The Foyer