Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Intro.

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

Intro.

Postby jaser » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:52 pm

Hello to you all, I hope this finds you in good health, and of an on-going skeptical bent regarding our fundamentalist friends....

I've tried to introduce myself below, and I'm hoping I'm not coming over as a bit of a smug prick - I certainly don't have all the answers to everything, but I'm pretty much interested in all the questions.

I've swung by here a number of times, and thought I'd register out of curiosity, and in the hope that I might occasionally post something of interest.

By way of background, I'm a native of the British Isles, 46 years of age, and an atheist (or agnostic in Ray Comfort's worldview) from age 6 or 7, after I kind-of twigged that the whole Ark story was ludicrous in the extreme.

My father was brought up as a Catholic, but 'lapsed' as a teenager. The indoctrination however has been hard for him to shake-off, and I admit to finding it fascinating how someone of his intellect still (albeit to a small extent) harbours vestiges of the guilt and fear he was force-fed in his formative years. He was fantastic when I came home from school that day with my doubts, by saying 'well, what do you think'? - he didn't foist his views on me, he asked me my opinion - he allowed me to think about it.

I am a veteran of Ray Comfort's blog 'Atheist Central' (although I sparingly posted there) and I unaccountably find myself almost unable to avoid readings his blog posts on a daily basis. I realise that Ray enjoys trolling his atheist readers, as a means of increasing his web-traffic, and I try not to 'feed the need'

I have no axe to grind, other than that I find injustice, and the indoctrination of children with fear and guilt particularly wicked.

My ambition: to find out who the heck is Steven J??? I want to shake that man's hand. His forbearance and diligence in refuting some of the evolutionary disinformation that is deliberately spread by various fundies is almost beyond belief. Not once in 7 or 8 years has he resorted to swearing or losing his rag. He has to be one of the most patient people alive.

Another thing I find fascinating is that the USA - one of the world's most technologically advanced nations, has such a large number of people that adhere to (ok in my opinion) ancient superstitious beliefs and conspiracy theories. The USA leads the world in almost everything worth mentioning, but religion appears to have a disproportionate effect on the lives of many of it's populace.

Ok, enough of my opinion. Like I say, I hope I haven't come across as too pompous, I'm just intrigued by the effect that the Bible still has on the world in 2013.

Jase.
jaser

Re: Intro.

Postby rufustfirefly » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Welcome. Yeah, Steven J is a mystery. Love to know his background if not his identity. He is not your usual internet commenter. He has the patience of . . . Job, I guess.
rufustfirefly

Postby BathTub » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome

Definitely one of the longest running mysteries of the blog, who is Steven J!
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 am

Welcome to our fine if not divine ship of fools, jase. Pay no attention to froggie's upcoming demand for dues.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BaldySlaphead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 am

Hello fellow Brit and welcome on board!
BaldySlaphead

Postby zilch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:42 am

Fellow Brit, eh? Nationalism rears its ugly head again.... :lol:
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BaldySlaphead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

More that it increases the number of cultural references I'm liable to understand ;-)

Now be quiet, you filthy colonial type.
BaldySlaphead

Postby zilch » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:05 am

BaldySlaphead wrote:More that it increases the number of cultural references I'm liable to understand ;-)

Now be quiet, you filthy colonial type.

Ay, ya got me pegged, ya limey....
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 pm

jaser wrote:Hello to you all, I hope this finds you in good health, and of an on-going skeptical bent regarding our fundamentalist friends....

Greetings, Jaser!

Since you hail from that quaint island off the European coast, I've decided to discount your initiation fee from 199.95 USD to 15.95 USD. You may remit to my PayPal account at your earliest convenience!

Welcome aboard!

E-lad
AKA Froggie
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BaldySlaphead » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:17 pm

Ah - it's the gag that never gets tired! ;)
BaldySlaphead

Next

Return to The Foyer