Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

This looks like a nice mental refuge

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

Re: This looks like a nice mental refuge

Postby zilch » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Here in Austria it's tempting to call it Global Warming too- I think most Austrians (with the exception of ski resort owners) wouldn't mind a little more heat, and it would probably improve agriculture here too- at least over the short run.

We just had (I think it's about over) the mildest winter since I've been here- one inch of snow on the ground for two days was the whole thing. Kinda scary.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby 3point14rat » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:31 pm

zilch wrote:Here in Austria it's tempting to call it Global Warming too- I think most Austrians (with the exception of ski resort owners) wouldn't mind a little more heat, and it would probably improve agriculture here too- at least over the short run.

We just had (I think it's about over) the mildest winter since I've been here- one inch of snow on the ground for two days was the whole thing. Kinda scary.

Well here in Alberta, Canada, the temperature has been in the deep freeze for too long. The average temp for the last few weeks here in Calgary is around +2 degrees C, while we have been dealing with temperatures in the low -20's with wind chills into the low -30's and even -40's. Vacations to sunny destinations are a hot item lately.

Sorry I don't know the C to F conversion for the temperatures for my American friends, but trust me when I say it's COLD!

It's too bad that the phenomenon was initially labeled Global Warming, now the head-in-the-sand deniers can use the term to perpetuate the confusion and therefore delay action. I'd like more warm sunny days, but not at the expense of all the things that would be destroyed due to the change.

I suppose that the bright side of this is that when it is +10 C it'll be t-shirt weather for us. We don't need no stinking tropical temperatures to bask in the sun- all we need is some frigid weather to toughen us up and make us treat moderate temperatures as sunbathing weather.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby Jessica » Sun May 18, 2014 9:49 am

I am located in Manchester. England. Right in the middle of what those who study such things label the north temperate zone. Almost smack bang in a location exactly in the middle south of the Arctic Circle, North of the Tropic of Cancer.
And you know, jokes about Manchester and rain are natural and the cotton barons set up the mills here because the air is damp so the cotton threads wouldn't snap like they do in the dry air. But in this last maybe ten years it has been a lot warmer and wetter. I mean, almost monsoon like conditions regularly. Rain bouncing off the pavements yet the pavements are steaming with the vapour due to the heat. That is not natural for us.

Climate change does fit and anyone who denies it is denying the truth in front of their eyes. Labelling it global warming has given the deniers a lot of ammunition. But these use it to sneer and mock and refuse to admit that the scientists are human and only go off what they read and learn and understand and so unlike the deniers who are never wrong or mistaken about anything ever.

Talking about 3point14rat and his Alberta temperatures and the way a body naturally acclimatising to different atmospheres according to it's origins, this taxi driver I made friends with was like a lot of theists, in that he used to sneer "I wish we could have a bit of that global warming here!" When he was born and spent up to his early teens in the Indian subcontinent the subtropics where it was hot and dry and to him the temperate zone was cold.

Plus, there is a probably apocryphal story about the Russian front in World War Two. When the winter came down, and temperatures dropped to minus 27 degrees the Germans were freezing because Hitler in his hubris believed they would be in Moscow before the weather turned but it was cold to the Russians so Stalin sent for the Siberian brigades made up of men and women hardened by regular winters of 40 degrees below (I am writing in Centigrade) and to them it was like a spring day.

One more thing: 3point14rat. I like your signature. So true!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Sun May 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Jessica wrote:[...] so Stalin sent for the Siberian brigades made up of men and women hardened by regular winters of 40 degrees below (I am writing in Centigrade) and to them it was like a spring day.

You could be writing in Fahrenheit just as well, Jessica, because -40 just happens to be the point where the Fahrenheit and Centigrade scales cross: forty below is the same in both. Here's the math: you know that the formula for converting Centigrade (and no, I don't pander to Celsius either, for the same reason I don't call rpm "Edisons") is 9/5 C+32=F. If C and F are the same number, call it X, and we can say 9/5 X+32=X. Subtract X from both sides: 4/5 X+32=0. Subtract 32 from both sides: 4/5 X= -32. Multiply both sides by 5/4: X= -40.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby ThorGoLucky » Tue May 20, 2014 10:39 pm

A belated "hiya", 3point14rat.
ThorGoLucky

Postby 3point14rat » Fri May 23, 2014 3:33 pm

ThorGoLucky wrote:A belated "hiya", 3point14rat.

Hiya back at ya.

I took a quick look at your website and it's very cool and awesome.

I'm a board gamer too, with many hundreds of dollars spent on games and their expansions. We just got into them a few years ago, but once we did we couldn't stop trying new ones. It would be neat to get some friends together to try the one you have created. When we do I'll definitely let you know.

Cheers,
Y*:YARR!
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby zilch » Fri May 23, 2014 6:53 pm

Along those lines, in a way, baldy:

- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby 3point14rat » Fri May 23, 2014 6:55 pm

ThorGoLucky wrote:A belated "hiya", 3point14rat.

I too have a degree from Thunderwood College... a "Doctor of Arts in Divinity".

It was a proud moment on July 12, 2011, when the 8 1/2" x 11" slid out of the printer at work. I've displayed it with pride in my cubicle ever since. (If I were the least bit computer savvy I would know how to display the photo I took of it, but I have no idea how to insert an image into my message.)
3point14rat

Postby zilch » Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 pm

If you really want to insert a photo in your message, perhaps the easiest way is to upload it to Photobucket and then post its address here.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby 3point14rat » Fri May 23, 2014 10:48 pm

Here is my most valued possesion (if you ignore all my other possesions).

I worked for an hour on figuring out how to insert the image instead of just having a boring link you have to click on. It turns out Photobucket has a link that you can simply copy and paste into this message, and BINGO!, there it is.

As you can see, my cubicle isn't as dedicated to work as it could be. It's mostly art from my kids, but a few other things have made it onto the walls as well.
3point14rat

PreviousNext

Return to The Foyer