Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

I'm not dead yet! Jessica Nield's temporary return

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

I'm not dead yet! Jessica Nield's temporary return

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

So. . .
I'm sort of back. But not really. I've got to go into hospital for more tests next week. The medical people have found something up with my kidneys. Strange, because I've never drunk alcohol. But they're keeping me alive and well (-ish).
I'm not going into details as:

1) there is nothing more boring than reading about other folk's weakening systems and the fight by medical people to stop them weakening anymore.
2) There is no two.

I've given in and joined YouTube. Have a look if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJTH8g ... afA/videos

(Yes, that is how I speak. I've been trying to do a Lionel Logue on myself school myself to speak for an audience and speak slowly and that but I do tend to slur my words. Plus the mega strong Lancashire accent doesn't help).
Vast apologise for the imaginative title (satire) but I put my name in to join Google because you need to join Google to join YouTube and now I can't change it.
I did want to title it :

A Channel About Nothing.
Or :

Short Videos From A Short Person.

I've also forgotten my e-mail password and getting back in is too much hassle. I don't really want to, though. I've never been exceptionally delighted at the idea of being contacted!
I've missed the hell out of all of you, though. Truly.
More soon. Truly.

One more thing : I'm dead surprised you didn't turn your noses up at my previous melodramatic flouncing off and deleted my account.

But truly I've missed you all so much. How can you miss someone you don't know? I don't know. But I am.

One more thing, one more thing : I will be back!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Re: I'm not dead yet! Jessica Nield's temporary return

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:44 am

It wasn't that melodramatic.... :lol: Good to virtually see you again, Jessica.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby BaldySlaphead » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 am

Bloody hell, it's good to hear from you, Jessica!

I don't want to labour the point or seem like I'm scolding you, but we were really worried about you and couldn't decide exactly what you were telling us, so to have you back, well, it's bloody great.

I'm checking out your videos too. Hope you'll stick around as long as you can!
BaldySlaphead

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:05 am

It's a relief to hear you again, Jessica. I'm holding my thumbs for you (as we say here) and I hope you continue sharing your thoughts with us as time and circumstance permit.

cheers from foggy Vienna, Scott
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby vms » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Ditto what everyone has said.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 am

Bloody hell, it's good to hear from you, Jessica!

I don't want to labour the point or seem like I'm scolding you, but we were really worried about you and couldn't decide exactly what you were telling us, so to have you back, well, it's bloody great.

I'm checking out your videos too. Hope you'll stick around as long as you can!

I do need a good scolding now and then. That message was bloody daft. I was fed up of feeling poorly all the time when everyone around me was well and (mum excluded) were telling me to buck up and get on with it. (If only, disgustingly healthy dear sister, if only). And when I feel out of sorts and vexed I write more flowery and obscure that usual. That last message was a Chelsea flower show of writing, only without the signs explaining what is what and covered by a tin lid with holes in it. There are times when it is best to stop posting!

But seriously, thank you for all of you for you interest and concern. I forgot my e-mail password so I wasn't getting any of your messages. Now I've got them and well, thank you again. To paraphrase Tennessee Williams, I am always astounded by the generosity of strangers. (Although that wasn't a paraphrase, that was brutally hitting it out of shape, till it fitted my circumstances).

I'm holding my thumbs for you (as we say here)
That is a fascinating saying. When you get the chance. could you tell me it's etymology?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:17 pm

Jessica wrote: That is a fascinating saying. When you get the chance. could you tell me it's etymology?

I don't know the source of holding one's thumbs- what's the source of crossing one's fingers?
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby vms » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 pm

zilch wrote:what's the source of crossing one's fingers?

I once saw a show on the origins of superstitions which included crossing your fingers. There are two theories on its origin. This is what I remember. One is pagan where the crossing of the fingers is to trap the hope for good luck between your fingers and keep it there until you get it. The other is xian where crossing the fingers is making the sign of the cross which early xians did to ward off evil.

Knowing how xianity has hijacked other pagan "stuff" I tend to believe the pagan origin and xians adapted it for their own use.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby 3point14rat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Hey Jessica,

Welcome back! Y*:YMAPPLAUSE:

Words are powerful, and yours have allowed many who have never seen or met you to get to know, and like, you. I hope you're going to stay with us until you choose to move on to other things.
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Postby zilch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:07 pm

vms wrote:
zilch wrote:what's the source of crossing one's fingers?

I once saw a show on the origins of superstitions which included crossing your fingers. There are two theories on its origin. This is what I remember. One is pagan where the crossing of the fingers is to trap the hope for good luck between your fingers and keep it there until you get it. The other is xian where crossing the fingers is making the sign of the cross which early xians did to ward off evil.

Knowing how xianity has hijacked other pagan "stuff" I tend to believe the pagan origin and xians adapted it for their own use.

Thanks, vems, that's interesting and plausible.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to The Foyer