Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Greetings and Salutations!

Come in, be welcome, introduce yourselves...

Greetings and Salutations!

Postby lehman scott » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Greetings everybody - - lehman here! Before I begin this introduction, I just want to tell you all how awesome I think you are. Battling the nonsense of fundies like Ray is a thankless task, but one that must be done nonetheless, and you folks do a very fine job of it.

Now that I have earned my stripes via the battle scars from Ray’s diatribe at me, I finally feel worthy enough to tender my application for membership in your noble and esteemed brother/sister-hood. Those of you who might have read some of my posts on Atheist Central probably already know some of my history. There is more, though, and my personal story is something that I’ve been wanting to get down on silicon for a long time now, and this is a great venue in which to do that. So here goes….

I was born and raised in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), red hymnal variety (all those LCMS churches who in the 1980s replaced the traditional red hymnals with the so-called “contemporary” blue hymnals are all apostate and their members destined for hell. Heaven awaits you only if you sing hymns written in the 19th century or older). For those of you unfamiliar with the LCMS, think Catholic church minus the incense, nuns, and Mary-and-the-Saints worship. I first doubted the veracity of the Word of God in the fifth year of my twelve-year-long parochial education when my science teacher responded to my question about the age of dinosaur fossils by replying that God put them there to “test our faith”. To be fair, though, I really did get a pretty decent math and science education, sufficient to get me into a good University, at least.

I got sucked into charismatic Christianity by my High School wrestling coach. I spoke in tongues, laid on hands, and proselytized unbelievers for years until my senior year in college when I was seduced by a Marxist-feminist highly intellectual professor and finally lost both my physical and spiritual virginity. During the next ten years that we lived together, she and I explored a plethora of spiritual philosophies, including at one point studying under a bona-fide Native American shaman for three years.
There was never one definable moment when I became an atheist. Coming on the tail of practicing Wiccan, Buddhist, and Native American beliefs, the final slide was pretty easy and gradual, inasmuch as none of these spiritual systems require a typical Western deity. All in all, I must admit that I still consider myself a spiritual person, with spirit in a very broad definition.

So I am 99.9% atheist. As to the remaining 0.1%, I have had three experiences that one could consider supernatural, as there are no known physical explanations for them. Those experiences in and of themselves, even if eventually explained by some hitherto unknown laws of physics, do not necessarily imply the existence of a Supreme Being, but my intellectual honesty insists that I must at least leave that door unlocked.

So, that is my brief introduction of myself to you all. I actually started out wanting to write a lot more, especially as pertaining to that 0.1%, but so be it for now. More later, I hope. I look forward to getting to know you all better!

lehman
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Re: Greetings and Salutations!

Postby Whateverman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:04 pm

Great intro, Lehman (and again I'm sorry it took so long to get you in).

I'm a cautious deist, and I find it kinda neat that the way you described your current "belief" is very similar to the way I describe mine - yet you identify more with "atheist". That could be fodder for discussion at a later date, because it touches a number of things I've been thinking about too.

So yeah, welcome to our humble home. You can proably tell things are low-key around here. Gimme (or any of the mods/admins) if you've got questions.

edit: discretion
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby BaldySlaphead » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:46 pm

What? Who let the anti-Semite join..?

(Welcome, Lehman!)
BaldySlaphead

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Ahh nice, got your account active. Glad to have you here lehman.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby zilch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey, welcome aboard, Lehman! Has Froggie told you about our strict bad joke policy (you need to produce at least one a week) yet?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BathTub » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Hello and welcome! Not many people make such a big splash when they arrive at the swamp.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Way to Make An Entrance!
(by Weemaryanne)

Lehman Scott, Lehman Scott,
At Atheist Central he made it hot!
Made 'em hoot 'n' holler
And almost swaller
Their piety, right on the spot!
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby Tilia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Welcome Lehman.

I'm Anna at the Swamp. I grew up Lutheran (official German version), 19th century songs are still shockingly modern for many in that church, but they did work over Luther's Bible translation at least twice during the last 500 years.
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby E-lad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:05 pm

Yo, Lehman. E-lad here, AKA Froggie at the swamp.

If anybody gives you any trouble, let me know and I'll do something about it.

I've not yet received the $399.00 registration fee into my PayPal account. Just sayin'.

And finally. What kind of beer do you like?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:15 am

Not many people get custom-made doggerel as soon as they join, Lehman :)
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Foyer