Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The End of SMRT!

You'll find updates from the Moderators and Admins here as needs require.

What should we do?

Purchase 3 more years (~$250) of SMRT at Bluehost
48%
Purchase 1 more year(~$100) of SMRT at Bluehost
38%
Find another (cheaper) host and purchase space there
10%
Have a SMRTie take ownership and host the forums privately
No votes
Let SMRT fade away
5%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 21

The End of SMRT!

Postby Whateverman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:50 pm

... or is it a new beginning? The choice is up to you.

On October 24, our lease for the SMRT forums will end, and they will go offline some time during the day. Members of The Raytractors blog previously chipped in the collective ~$250 (via PayPal) to purchase 3 years of space, and now that our time is almost at an end, we have to decide what happens next.

The Admins have discussed this, and we've come up with a short-list of the possible options. Satan's in the details, but we need you to vote, or suggest something we haven't thought of.

Please choose one, and post comments as needed. You're allowed to revote if you change your mind.
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Re: The End of SMRT!

Postby Whateverman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:08 pm

First off, we don't have a lot of time, so whatever we do, we should make the decision within a week (14-October-2011). Discussion is important, but please keep in mind there's a time for hashing out the minute details, and a time for action. We're closer to the latter.

Explanation of the issues/options

The easiest option for everyone involved is to keep hosting SMRT at Bluehost. Moving the forums runs the risk of having things break, and none of us wants to have to deal with more technical issues.

Speaking of which, the forums currently have a bunch of issues. It's occasionally very slow, and we have accounts that can't log in; folks report infrequent MySQL / sock errors. Some of the Admins feel moving the forums may help us identify and fix the problems. Others feel we should leave SMRT where it is and fix things without adding the complication of a move to the pile. This difference of opinion (among the Admins) is seen in options #2 and #3.

There's an option for one of us to take ownership of SMRT and host it on their own private web server. This would be more technically challenging than purchasing the space, and for that reason we don't particularly like the option. However, it would be the cheapest of the bunch (assuming SMRT is to stay active).

And obviously, folks may be tired of the forums, or may not be interested in keeping it going.

So, ask questions, offer suggestions and make a choice as soon as you can.

Thanks,

SMRT
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby BathTub » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:24 pm

lol who voted fade away?

My vote is for 1 more year here, as I would prefer to move away from bluehost since the site goes down almost daily.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby FrodoSaves » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I've never experienced any technical problems on the site myself so I voted for another 3 years. Happy to pledge $20 (or more, if needed) to keep the dream alive...
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby Weemaryanne » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:05 pm

I've had the occasional SQL error message but no logouts, so my problem with SMRT is not technical but personal -- I miss Maragon, ExPatMatt, BenjaminFranklin, and NonMagicalThinking, and I'm not quite so fond of the mini-chat as some of you. But I'd like us to stick around and will gladly chip in as required. Voted for 3 years.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby Whateverman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:09 pm

I've voted to stay!

PS. I miss those folks and others too, Wee...
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:52 pm

I voted let it fade away because there wasn't a I don't really care either way option. This is all personal, mind you.

I spend too much time online anyway, and I'm thinking about getting rid of my connection completely, for awhile, at least.

As for SMRT. Never been logged out, but I get the SQL errors often, and it does seem to run slower at times, but I could live with that.

I'm very glad to have met many of the folks here, especially those from the Raytractors days. I miss Maragon, and I greatly miss Ben Franklin.

There are things I like and things I don't. There are things I would miss and there are things I wouldn't.

So. . . I can take it or leave it. If it's here (or somewhere else) I'll probably be around. If not, so be it. As for kicking in again, I couldn't do that until next month. I'm really strapped right now.

Just in case this is it, it's been a mostly positive and rewarding experience. I wish everyone, especially the OGs, the best. Thank you all.

PS

One reason I wouldn't want SMRT to go away entirely is having people like Burton and Stormbringer and Starbuck and Comfort and Miano thinking it's any kind of win for them. That would stick in my craw.

Take care, folks.

rufustfirefly

Postby E-lad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:18 pm

rufustfirefly wrote:I voted let it fade away because there wasn't a I don't really care either way option. This is all personal, mind you.

I spend too much time online anyway, and I'm thinking about getting rid of my connection completely, for awhile, at least.

As for SMRT. Never been logged out, but I get the SQL errors often, and it does seem to run slower at times, but I could live with that.

I'm very glad to have met many of the folks here, especially those from the Raytractors days. I miss Maragon, and I greatly miss Ben Franklin.

There are things I like and things I don't. There are things I would miss and there are things I wouldn't.

So. . . I can take it or leave it. If it's here (or somewhere else) I'll probably be around. If not, so be it. As for kicking in again, I couldn't do that until next month. I'm really strapped right now.

Just in case this is it, it's been a mostly positive and rewarding experience. I wish everyone, especially the OGs, the best. Thank you all.

PS

One reason I wouldn't want SMRT to go away entirely is having people like Burton and Stormbringer and Starbuck and Comfort and Miano thinking it's any kind of win for them. That would stick in my craw.

Take care, folks.

You just sit still. I still owe you a lunch.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby vms » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 pm

I voted for 1 more year. That way SMRT would remain on-line and it would give us time to decide where and how to move to a different server. As a retired SysAdmin I seriously doubt we’ll be able to fix any of the problems we’re experiencing with the server run by BlueHost. I think it’s a case of how BlueHost runs/manages their servers.

A few times when the SQL and other errors occurred I logged onto the server and looked at what was going on. It seemed that BlueHost personnel had shut down the MySQL database software for maintenance like database verification. As for the poor performance at certain times that someone like Zilch complained about, it could be because backups are being done. Backups can put a heavy load on the server causing poor performance. It’s done late at night here in the US but we have members around the world so they notice.

Remember the HTTP 500 errors? That is an ‘Internal server error’ meaning it has to do with probably the web software (apache) or the OS (Operating System) itself. I had opened a support ticket with BlueHost on that one since we have no control over that software or the OS. They weren’t much help, always pointing the finger at us. I didn’t do anything and the problem went away by itself, or so it seemed. I did log onto server after the problem stopped and noticed that the server had been rebooted so I suspect BlueHost did something.

So I’m not happy with BlueHost and we should move. Question is where.

PS: I miss those people too Wee but an Internet forum is like any other community, people come people go.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby alphgeek » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:28 am

I voted for 3 year extension - not fussed on the details of hosting etc. but I'd rather see smrt stick around - hard enough finding sites to read these days and you're a good bunch of people. I'm happy to pledge $50 towards hosting costs, tap me on the shoulder once the group has made a final decision.
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
-- Bertrand Russell
alphgeek

Next

Return to News, Rules, & Updates