Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Lancet Finally Retracts . . .

One of the newest topics to claim vigorous debate amongst the misinformed is the reliability and safety of general modern medicine, vaccinations and antibiotics. Discuss here.

Re: Lancet Finally Retracts . . .

Postby Benjamin Franklin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 pm

I shall now proceed to shoot my load of 'vaccine' on Jenny McCarthy's face.

Benjamin Franklin

Postby Whateverman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:17 pm

I heard this story last night at around 8pm, but didn't have the time to post it here.

I'm taking bets on this movement having sprung legs of its own...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:17 pm

The anti-vaccination "movement"? Oh, yeah. There have already been study after study showing no link and it hasn't mattered. Jenny McCarthy says she doesn't need studies and science; her son is her science. Kinda like Comfort saying there is no evidence that would make him accept evolution because that would make his God a liar/
rufustfirefly

Postby rhiggs » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Ah, I was hoping someone had posted about this.

I was in a meeting with one of the senior Lancet editors (lets call her Mary) yesterday talking about this very topic. Among many other insights into scientific fraud, she told us one very funny anecdote about a paper she received.....

It was from a Chinese author and was rubbish, really bad, muck. It was an obvious reject and she didn't even consider sending it out for peer review.

Then a few weeks later Mary got an email from a senior editor from a different journal (lets call him John) asking her if she realized she was listed as a co-author on a submission from China. Surprise, surprise, it was the same paper. Mary replied that this was news to her and so she rang the author and asked why on earth she had been inserted as an co-author. He replied that since she had read the paper prior to rejecting it, he considered her to have given input into the paper, and he was honoring her with authorship. She said thanks but no thanks and tried to explain that you simply can't do that (Chinese science was a bit backward until quite recently). The polite Chinese scientist apologized and that was that......

Until a few weeks later, when Mary got an email from a senior editor at yet another journal, CCed to John, asking them both if they realized they were both listed as co-authors on a submission from China.....!!

True story. (Imagine a room full of nerdy editors laughing)
Remember you're an individual - just like everyone else.
http://fourdollarsalmostfive.blogspot.com/
rhiggs

Postby BathTub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 am

Yikes that could almost be used maliciously.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Whateverman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:10 am

That's both funny and disturbing (in a nerdy kinda way)...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Return to Antibodies, Antibiotics, and Vaccines; Oh my