Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

So I Got Acupuncture Today

One of the newest topics to claim vigorous debate amongst the misinformed is the reliability and safety of general modern medicine, vaccinations and antibiotics. Discuss here.

So I Got Acupuncture Today

Postby IntellectualNinja » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Today I got acupuncture. It's an interesting process. They probe your ear to see where it's most sensitive (AKA hurts the most) and stick a needle into it. While it was fun to just get out and do something, I highly doubt the medicinal value of acupuncture. Some people say it works great, but since it's a procedure not a pill, it's really hard to compare its effect to a placebo.

I think someone should do an experiment comparing homeopathy and acupuncture. Anyway, medicine without science isn't medicine at all. Y*:-Q

Your thoughts?
Officially "A fundie of a different stripe."
IntellectualNinja

Re: So I Got Acupuncture Today

Postby E-lad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:22 pm

What was the purpose of the procedure?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BathTub » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:25 pm

If you get some relief out of it, great.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby BeamStalk » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:29 pm

IntellectualNinja wrote:Today I got acupuncture. It's an interesting process. They probe your ear to see where it's most sensitive (AKA hurts the most) and stick a needle into it. While it was fun to just get out and do something, I highly doubt the medicinal value of acupuncture. Some people say it works great, but since it's a procedure not a pill, it's really hard to compare its effect to a placebo.

I think someone should do an experiment comparing homeopathy and acupuncture. Anyway, medicine without science isn't medicine at all. Y*:-Q

Your thoughts?

Actually there are ways to compare. There are needles that feel like they are poking you but don't. This makes the test a single blind test but that is about as good as you will get. It does no better than placebo.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Whateverman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:34 pm

My opinion: it's 90% bunk and 10% substantive. I feel sure empirical science will find some basis for its popularity (it's effective in a limited set of situations), but that the vast majority of it is cultural mythology.

Did it work, iNinja?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby Weemaryanne » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:10 pm

So long as the little pinprick holes don't get infected I suppose it couldn't do you any harm. In any case you've been working out like a samurai so how could it do you any harm?
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby Vagon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Well we've all been dealing with a little prick over at atheist central for sometime now.
My side effects swing from nausea to headdesk and through to the occaisional bout of apathy.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Weemaryanne wrote:So long as the little pinprick holes don't get infected I suppose it couldn't do you any harm. In any case you've been working out like a samurai so how could it do you any harm?

Or they don't use Hep-B infected needles or try to diagnose the problem or etc...

http://whatstheharm.net/acupuncture.html
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby zilch » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Whoa, that site was an eye-opener, Beams. Thanks.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Antibodies, Antibiotics, and Vaccines; Oh my