Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Care to join me in annoying some homeoquacks?

One of the newest topics to claim vigorous debate amongst the misinformed is the reliability and safety of general modern medicine, vaccinations and antibiotics. Discuss here.

Care to join me in annoying some homeoquacks?

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:17 am

Britain's homeoquacks seem to be trying to figure out how to reclaim the NHS funding that was so rudely taken away from them when somebody noticed that there's no evidence supporting their claims. Since that has not changed, they're going to play the Persecution Card. So they're doing a web survey. Links below the video:

I rather enjoyed answering each question with a succinct and polite sentence incorporating the word "bullshit." Not in allcaps. That would have been rude.

I don't know yet whether this survey can be completed more than once; but if I'm allowed to fill it in again later in the week, I plan to repeat the process using the technical term "malarkey." Or possibly the specialized designation "horse-hockey." It all depends on the mood I'm in.

(If I get a third try I may have to fall back on "baloney" but I'm not planning that far ahead.)

For anyone who cares to join me, here are the links:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KJL3D2N
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMKKV75
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Re: Care to join me in annoying some homeoquacks?

Postby E-lad » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:06 am

Hey Wee, I went over and peed on their tires!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BaldySlaphead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 am

I wondered what the smell was, Dale. It's soaked into their socks.

Nice one Wee. Would you mind if I c&p'd your post elsewhere (with attribution)..?

My responses:

Homeopathy as a profession is under attack from groups such as Sense about Science and groups such as the Nightingale Collaboration.

This Research will gauge public opinion as to the amount of information that the public and prospective patients wish to be able to access from professionally Qualified Practitioners only.

1. Do you know what Homeopathy is?
Yes
Sort of
No

2. If you had a health concern, would you consider supplementing conventional medicine with alternative medicine such as Homeopathy?

Yes
No

3. Have you ever taken a Homeopathic Remedy?
Yes
No

4. Qualified Homeopaths are no longer permitted to explain how Homeopathy works or offer any evidence on their websites because of a ruling by the Advertising Standards Agency.
Do you think Homeopaths should be allowed to explain how Homeopathy works?

No
Yes
Please comment on your answer:

BaldySlaphead wrote:Homeopathy demonstrably (i.e. in meta-analysis) does not work any better than placebo and the claimed mechanism violates natural laws. In short, it's bullshit and quackery.

BaldySlaphead Comments wrote:This is a really badly worded question (possibly deliberately). Do I think they should should be allowed to explain how it works? Well, it doesn't work, so you can't explain it, but part of me thinks that yes, they should be permitted to give their explanation of how it works, since it might means people read it and think, "That's obviously BS!" whereas not explaining it might allow people to infer it's medically-valid.

5. Qualified Homeopaths are no longer allowed to state which medical conditions they treat.
If you visited a Homeopaths website, would you find it useful or not useful to know which conditions they can treat?

Useful
Not Useful
Please comment on your answer

BaldySlaphead wrote:The phrase 'qualified homeopath' has no more validity than the phrase 'qualified wizard', and since homeopathy cannot be proved to be anything other than placebo at work, it is entirely correct that it is not permitted to claim it can treat any medical conditions.

6. Qualified Homeopaths are no longer allowed to give testimonials from genuine patients if those patients want to state that their health has improved as a result of homeopathy. (Testimonials means comments only from verifiable, genuine patients) Do you think testimonials giving details of improvement from genuine patients should be not allowed or allowed?

Not allowed *
Allowed
Other (please specify)

BaldySlaphead wrote:Annecdotes are not evidence.

7. Why do you think Homeopaths are being treated in this way?

BaldySlaphead wrote:Because homeopathy cannot be demonstrated to be anything other than placebo effect. Because homeopathy's claimed mechanism is scientifically implausible. Because it is important to ensure that people seeking medical advice are given access to treatments that can be demonstrated to work.
BaldySlaphead

Postby zilch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:23 am

I was polite but truthful. I did compare homeopathy to reading chicken entrails, though.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 am

zilch wrote:I was polite but truthful. I did compare homeopathy to reading chicken entrails, though.

Please leave the reading of entrails to me. I am, after all, a certified Haruspex.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby BaldySlaphead » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:01 am

That's nothing. I'm a fully certificated Horcrux.
BaldySlaphead

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

BaldySlaphead wrote:I wondered what the smell was, Dale. It's soaked into their socks.

Nice one Wee. Would you mind if I c&p'd your post elsewhere (with attribution)..?

By all means, but don't attribute it to me, attribute it to the original YouTuber whose handle is Mrgodbehere.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
Weemaryanne

Postby Weemaryanne » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:30 am

BaldySlaphead wrote:That's nothing. I'm a fully certificated Horcrux.

Shit, you mean there were eight of those, not seven? They'll have to make more movies.
Weemaryanne

Re: Care to join me in annoying some homeoquacks? *UPDATE*

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 pm

*UPDATE*

Developments re the two linked survey pages:

Link No. 1:
I've now completed the survey at least three times and perhaps I'm not the only one, as this is the message I got when I tried again this morning:

Oh, goody. Fieldwork completed. Boxes ticked, comments commented, data collected. Exxcelllennnt. Now gather up your coffee mugs and your spreadsheets, all you good little homeopaths, and put your heads down and find out what the data have to say to you. I'm sure it will be fascinating. I'm sure you'll love it.

(I'm sure I'm a bitch. But that's not relevant to this little information-gathering exercise.)

Link No. 2:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMKKV75

At that link, the survey is still available, together with a message posted by someone who a) observes that the homeopaths tend to abandon fieldwork results that they don't like, and b) promises that the results from his/her version of the survey will be available in August.

So, whatevs.
Weemaryanne

Return to Antibodies, Antibiotics, and Vaccines; Oh my