Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Melanie’s Marvellous Measles

One of the newest topics to claim vigorous debate amongst the misinformed is the reliability and safety of general modern medicine, vaccinations and antibiotics. Discuss here.

Re: Melanie’s Marvellous Measles

Postby zilch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:49 pm

There are good arguments for and against antibiotics. But I don't know of any good arguments against vaccinations, which do not kill germs themselves, but rather strengthen the immune system.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:21 pm

Melanie, 12, died of measles today. RIP.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Tenebrae » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm all for informed consent, one of the biggest problems I have with the antivaccination crowd is that their supposed proof is based in supposition, emotion and hersey

We are currently in the midst of new measles outbreaks.

One of the biggest problem with antibiotics is that they are prescribed for viruses which is like trying to put out a forrest fire by spitting on it, and people still dont finish the entire course, leading to such lovely superbugs like MRSA ESBl and other such lovelys
Tenebrae

Postby lehman scott » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:19 am

Tenebrae wrote:One of the biggest problem with antibiotics is that they are prescribed for viruses which is like trying to put out a forrest fire by spitting on it, and people still dont finish the entire course, leading to such lovely superbugs like MRSA ESBl and other such lovelys

Amen to that, Ma'am. I get particularly incensed when I hear about peeps who don't finish their a.b. scrips. I have a good friend who caught an MSRA bug after a brief hospital stay a few years ago and has been struggling with it ever since. Every time it flares up it takes a bigger toll on her body and gets tougher to fight off. We all know that one of these times she won't be able to and it's going to kill her. If and when it finally does, her blood will be on those assholes' hands who don't have the common sense to follow their doctors' simple instructions about taking their antibiotics.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby zilch » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:24 am

Antibiotics are a Faustian bargain in any case. But mishandled, as they too often are, they lead to a lose-lose situation.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby agrammatos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Great Thread. Is the OP pic serious? Or, is it tongue-in-cheek humor to drive an extremely critical and valid point home?

My wife actually worked in a practice where the founding M.D. was anti-vaccine. He buys into and blames the preservative compounds containing mercury which is found in some vaccines for his son's autism even in the face of studies to the contrary (he too does research part-time in his own facility in a different area of medicine).

Finally, a Thread in which I might agree with everything. For me, that is a breath of "fresh air", so to speak.
soli Deo gloria
agrammatos

Postby zilch » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:25 pm

So you admit, agrammatos, that we inhabit at least partially overlapping universes?
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby agrammatos » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

zilch wrote:So you admit, agrammatos, that we inhabit at least partially overlapping universes?

Yes. Isn't living in harmony a great thing?!
soli Deo gloria
agrammatos

Postby zilch » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:24 am

agrammatos wrote:Isn't living in harmony a great thing?!

It's the most important thing. Your being wrong about everything can wait.

- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Next

Return to Antibodies, Antibiotics, and Vaccines; Oh my