Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Flu Vaccinations

One of the newest topics to claim vigorous debate amongst the misinformed is the reliability and safety of general modern medicine, vaccinations and antibiotics. Discuss here.

Flu Vaccinations

Postby Vagon » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:10 am

My work pays for free flu vaccinations.

I never take them, based on my own notion that it actually makes the virus stronger.

Is this good science or should I start injecting?
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Re: Flu Vaccinations

Postby Tilia » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:27 am

Do it. If your immune system is strong the influenza virus will probably not kill you (could happen, though. The flu isn't just a strong cold), but you could spread it among people with weaker immune responses and without a work that pays for the vaccination.

You'll never reach 100% vaccination in a community, but the only protection for people who can't be vaccinated (because of too poor immune response) is a high vaccination rate in the population.

I don't know where this rumour of stronger viruses through vaccination comes from. Especially the influenza virus is rapidly changing no matter if you're vaccinated or not. Maybe your risk of catching the flu is weaker next year if you catch it this year because if you survived the flu your body has reacted to more virus antigenes than after a vaccination, but next years virus will probably not be stronger than this year. Unless the bird flu takes the step to humans, but for that somebody needs to be infected with bird and human flu at the same time and that can't happen if you're at least vaccinated against the human flu.
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby rufustfirefly » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:20 am

I'm a diabetic, so it's highly recommended that I get one. And I do. I haven't actually had the "flu" in a number of years.
rufustfirefly

Postby Whateverman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:37 pm

In my mind, I'm still 20 years old.

Back when I had recently begun working post college, my employers would hand out flu shots, and I decided that I didn't need them. I was young and could deal with the few aches and sore throat, etc; after the vaccine shortage, it pretty much solidified the idea that I didn't need them as bad as other folks.

Plus, I hated shots.

Fast forward to the present day, and I find that the flu seriously kicks my ass. I've had it hover in my system for more than 3 weeks, taking me out of work for 4 days straight. Whether the flu is stronger now, or whether it's simply because I'm older, it hits me much worse than it did before.

I get that shot as often as I can now. It's not just a personal comfort issue, either - I'd rather not be a carrier :p
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby Imtherabbit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:17 pm

It's a good question.
I have gotten the flu shot for the last 2 years simply because I was at the Doctors office and she asked if I wanted it. (I'm Canadian so it's always free) I never thought there was any harm in it, so I figured what the hell, I may as well since I was there. I guess I put my trust in the Doctor to tell me what the risks are. Has there been a lot of research into this?

Things like this are a bit more relevant to me because my Bro-in-law was just diagnosed with Leukemia. I really don’t want to be a carrier and end up giving it to him.
You see, in order to remain sane, I have actually gone insane, it's a great defense mechanism.
Come enjoy the wisdom taught by the the Great Bunny
Looking for something more serious? Why not look with Love
Bunnies be wit ya...
Imtherabbit

Postby BeamStalk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:00 pm

I never get the shot even though it is usually offered free where I work at. I rarely get sick so it I never thought I needed one. I never thought about people I come in contact with and how I may spread it to them, that is a good reason to get the shot. I have just been happy knowing my dad has a bunch of weird antibodies in his blood and I share that with him (we are both highly sought after during blood drives).
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Quasar » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:44 am

I get sick all the time, and nobody's offered me a free stabbing since school. Heck, nobody's offered me the chance to pay for a stabbing, either. Last stabbing I had was for tetinus, when I was somewhere between 16 and 18.

No, wait, I tell a lie, I had to get my wisdom teeth out since then, and they stabbed me then...
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Postby Personal Failure » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Get it. You could be spreading the flu to people like me: people who get sick for 6 weeks and end up in the hospital with kidney failure. Prior to that incident, I thought nothing of the flu. "Oh, I'll just be sick for a few days, so what?" (Guess what happens when you combine dehydration from the flu with rapid weight loss- that's right, kidney damage. my kidneys work fine now, but only because you don't need 100% of both.)
I'm on ur internetz degradin ur language wit mai ignorance an apathy.

feel free to visit me:Forever in Hell
Personal Failure

Postby Vagon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:30 am

I'm locked in for flu vaccination times.

Thanks for your input guys.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby Personal Failure » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 pm

no problem. i'm always ready with an opinion! :D
I'm on ur internetz degradin ur language wit mai ignorance an apathy.

feel free to visit me:Forever in Hell
Personal Failure

Next

Return to Antibodies, Antibiotics, and Vaccines; Oh my