Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Oldies but goldies

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Oldies but goldies

Postby StewartP » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 pm

I've just found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ77xVL0ImY

It's a vid of Nat King Cole singing "Answer me, my love"

The backing vocals seem cheesy by today's norms but what a sublime voice he has.

Anybody else know of some pre 1950s music that can shake our preconceptions?
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
StewartP

Re: Oldies but goldies

Postby E-lad » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:40 pm

You reminded me of a couple weeks ago my son, 18 comes walking through the kitchen singing Louie Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" with that unmistakable Armstrong voice.
I asked him where in the hell did you ever hear that, let alone memorize it and he tells me, don't worry, I get around!

He and his GF and cronies have been playing a lot of Beatle stuff lately and also Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Benjamin Franklin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Little Richard Lives!, (but just barely)
Benjamin Franklin

Postby Whateverman » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Damn, Stew, since I read this I've been scouring old emails and Favorites lists for a couple of extremely memorable jazz clips. I doubt they're pre-50s, but close. Miles Davis was way ahead of his time back then - and there are live recordings and movies that make this obvious.

I can't contribute anything for now, but mostly because the clips are from the early 60s.
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby craig » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:41 pm

Nat singing "Nature Boy" is about as good as it gets. Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald come to mind.
My dad played jazz piano, professionally for a bit when he was young, so I grew up listening to Duke Ellington (Mood Indigo and Take the A Train are tops), Count Basie, Earl Hines, Art Tatum, Art Blakey and Oscar Peterson. Any of it is worth a listen.
craig

Return to Free Frawl