Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Cymatic Frequencies demonstrated

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Cymatic Frequencies demonstrated

Postby BaldySlaphead » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 am

I've seen this done before where the plate was connected to a loudspeaker, but not where a bow was used. Unfortunately, it's really irritating to my tinnitus, but it's a lovely thing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_XL192wXw
BaldySlaphead

Re: Cymatic Frequencies demonstrated

Postby zilch » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:00 am

Thanks for the link, baldy, I hadn't seen it done with a bow online yet.

Yes, of course, this is the classical way to excite your Chladni plate. I did this too, nearly fifty years ago, and it's truly magical. This guy's demo is even more impressive because of the very large plate.

The trouble with Cymatics, as I'm sure you know, is that it's not just pretty pictures and sounds illuminating the beauty of math and physics, but for many it's also about numerology. The A=432 Herzers claim that Chladni plates (and water droplets, etc) demonstrate prettier pictures at 432 than at 440. Their youtube clips are tweaked and salted, and one way is by driving the plate with a loudspeaker. As you might expect, you have a certain amount of leeway with the pitch used to excite the particular harmonic of the plate- if you're within a couple percent, just crank up the volume and you'll get your pattern pretty well. And 440 is less than two percent different from 432, so it's easy to get what you want, perhaps even unwittingly.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Free Frawl