Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

I Give Up

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

I Give Up

Postby ExPatMatt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:16 pm

As some of you may know, I have been conversing (and I use the term loosely) with blogger 'John' for the past couple of months at his blog;
http://glorybetogod-john.blogspot.com/

He first showed up at Atheist Central making some typical fundie remarks about evolution and the definition of the word 'theory'. Now, I swore off AC some time ago and so, instead of engaging him there, I went to his blog to try and get him to discuss things and, perhaps, realize that he held some misconceptions about science. Feel free to attempt to correct him yourself (if you enjoy the sound of flesh on brick, that is).

Well, it has been a struggle and I now feel the need to vent a wee bit as I detox myself from the stupidity and willful ignorance I've been swimming in for the past couple of months. So, in amongst the endless cop-pasta from AIG and other professional non-thinkers and general garble that this guy spews, I've copied a few of my favourite quotes for posterity.

On circular reasoning:
"Keep in mind also that to quote the bible to prove the bible is not circular reasoning, becuase of the forty different authors"

On Global Flood evidence:
"matt, in addition to this evidence you requested I want to add that until you are truly born again alot of this stuff dosen't matter."

On evolution:
"I will say NOT the OBSERVED FACTS OF EVOLUTION but the observed facts of what we see and again theory of how it came about boils down to witch is logical reasonable scientific and of course biblical will asnwer the question of the origin of species."

On distant starlight:
"God could have created the light stream in place. Or maybe light traveled faster in the beginning."

On age of the earth:
Me: "Ice Layering - Currently the greatest number of layers found in a single ice sheet is over 700,000, which clearly contradicts the idea of an earth less than 10,000 years old."

Him: "Naw, don’t think so."

On scientific theories:
Me: "Anyone who tells you that theories get 'promoted' to laws is either; lying, ignorant or ignorantly passing on the lies of others."

Him: "Well if a person understands the definition of theory as an idea about something yet to be proved then this is'nt incorrect."

My one, last hope is that this guy is some genius poe who has totally suckered me in with one of the best Creationist parodies of all time. I'll quite happily be the idiot in that scenario because the alternative is just too painful to believe.

Anyway, this is me, signing off from another Creationist idiot; I'm sure it won't be the last:

"Goodbye John.

Enjoy your ignorance; I hope it brings you all the bliss you desire.

Cheers,

Matt"

Thanks for reading, I feel much better now.
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Re: I Give Up

Postby nonmagic » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:45 pm

jfp.jpg
jfp.jpg (39.03 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Don't walk, run! Save yourself from the stupidity!
I'm not gonna kiss your ass because you have imaginary friends.
nonmagic

Postby ExPatMatt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:49 pm

It's something I should have done a long time ago.

Is it outrageously arrogant of me to feel like I've just given up on teaching a child how put the round pegs in the round holes and the square pegs in the square holes? That's how I feel.

The Jesus-palm is a thing of beauty and should be reserved for truly momentous stupidity. I feel it is highly appropriate in this case.

Thanks
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces. " - Zapp Brannigan
ExPatMatt

Postby Whateverman » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:23 am

Sorry that I bailed on John, EPM. I've avoided fundamentalists for the last month or so...

I've been thinking lately that "polite education" is doomed to fail for the same reason that "unbridled contempt" does: the already have the answers, and merely seek that which helps explain those answers. Information inconsistent with their world view can't be correct, regardless of the quality of the evidence.

I've got it in my head that we need to be intentionally deceptive in order to reach them. Pretend to be a moderately faithful (fundamentalist) Christian, and carefully raise questions which contradict the dogma. Portray ourselves as someone struggling to find a way to explain the unexplainable.
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby theShaggy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 pm

The Jesus facepalm macro should read:

Oh Jesus Christ.
*facepalm*

;-)

Matt, I give you mad props for the effort put in, and I am sorry that you, like most of us, can't convince someone of anything :-(
*holds up fists* These are not the Shaggy.
The Shaggy is my penis.

And out of the ground MacGuyver formed a great site, and brought it to the Raytractors to see what they would call them: SMRT was what the Shaggy called them, that was the name thereof.
theShaggy

Postby ExPatMatt » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I just saw that John has deleted his blog. The internet just got a little less stupid. :D
ExPatMatt

Return to Free Frawl