Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Top 5 Favourite Bands

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Re: Top 5 Favourite Bands

Postby Tilia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Shaggy,

what about Herbert Grönemeyer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH-R3UYtpig

Please tell me that you don't like Xavier Naidoo or Tokio Hotel.
Skäms inte för att du är människa, var stolt!
Inne i dig öppnar sig valv bakom valv oändligt
Du blir aldrig färdig, och det är som det skall. Tomas Tranströmer

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby theShaggy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:59 pm

Don't know Tokio Hotel, but wasn't a fan of Naidoo when I was in Germany (2002-2003)... he just seemed so... erg melancholy.

But Groenemeyer had just released Mensch when I was there, so I got to hear a lot of him. Melancholy, but it was still awesome. I like him.
*holds up fists* These are not the Shaggy.
The Shaggy is my penis.

And out of the ground MacGuyver formed a great site, and brought it to the Raytractors to see what they would call them: SMRT was what the Shaggy called them, that was the name thereof.
theShaggy

Postby Tilia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Don't know Tokio Hotel, but wasn't a fan of Naidoo when I was in Germany (2002-2003)... he just seemed so... erg melancholy.

melancholy? He's the most annoying Christian singer I know...

"Alles was zählt,
ist die Verbindung zu Dir (God)
und es wäre mein Ende,
wenn ich diese Verbindung verlier!"

and all this in his pseudo soul voice

urgh

Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his reason. Martin Luther
Tilia

Postby theShaggy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:15 pm

Man, I didn't know he was a Christian singer, I just remember seeing some of his videos and going "urgh that looks dumb."

The one thing I noticed while over there is that you Germans love bad Canadian music. Bryan Adams, Nickelback, Avril Levigne... I don't get it. ;-)
*holds up fists* These are not the Shaggy.
The Shaggy is my penis.

And out of the ground MacGuyver formed a great site, and brought it to the Raytractors to see what they would call them: SMRT was what the Shaggy called them, that was the name thereof.
theShaggy

Postby Mudley » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Benjamin Franklin wrote:Iggy-

I'm Napstering "They might be Giants" now - Santa's Beard, not very impressed, Birdhouse in your soul, much better. I will listen to other tracks.

I recommend the songs "dead", "i be an retarded", "i palindrome i", "mammal", "dinner bell", "whistling in the dark", and "see the constellation"
Mudley

Postby Benjamin Franklin » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:15 am

I listened to a bunch of They Might Be Giants tracks from Apollo 18, Flood, & a few others, including "dead", "mammal", "dinner bell", "whistling in the dark", and "see the constellation". See the Constellation was the best, but I am not impressed. Sorry.

They are ok, kinda cute, but it seems more like the music that would be played on "Scooby Doo" on a Saturday morning.
More Disney TV-sized as opposed to Lawrence of Arabia Super-Panavision theater-sized.

The lyrics were fun, but technical virtuosity and musicianship was lacking.

They wouldn't make it into my top list

On to the next !
Benjamin Franklin

Postby Iggy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:31 am

Yeah, they are mostly about the lyrics. Not so much with the blazingly incandescent musical fireworks. They are fun though. They have two kids albums that I am going to play for my as yet hypothetical children.

I just kinda hit shuffle on my player and grabbed the first five bands off it. :) I'm bad at ranking my preferences. It could have just as easily wound up Black Sabbath, Daft Punk, Stevie Ray Vaughn, XTC and The Dead Kennedys.
Iggy

Postby Tilia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:30 am

The one thing I noticed while over there is that you Germans love bad Canadian music. Bryan Adams, Nickelback, Avril Levigne... I don't get it.

One good thing with not having English as your first language is that bad lyrics don't hurt that much. ;)

But if it has to be Canadian I'd prefer Alanis Morrissette

Tilia

Postby NaFa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:39 pm

alphgeek wrote:

NaFa: I was fanatical about Iron Maiden all through the 80's. I still love them. My first ever album was 'Live after Death'

Classic album. I'm a life long metalhead and Maiden always seemed like the epitome of Metalness to me.
When I lived in San Diego I used to go see this all-female tribute band called the Iron Maidens [lead singer was Bruce Chickenson ;)]. They were really great misicians. I'm not sure if they're still around, but they used to tour, so if you ever hear of them in your neighborhood I'd recommend checking them out. It's a good time reliving some old school silliness.

BTW, has anyone heard about the new RIAA plan to start getting downloaders' internet service ceased?
Jesus Saves!...by shopping at Walmart, where everyday low prices are guaranteed.
NaFa

Location: New Freakin' Jersey. So what about it, yous wanna fight?

Postby alphgeek » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:24 am

NaFa wrote:Classic album. I'm a life long metalhead and Maiden always seemed like the epitome of Metalness to me.
When I lived in San Diego I used to go see this all-female tribute band called the Iron Maidens [lead singer was Bruce Chickenson ;)]. They were really great misicians. I'm not sure if they're still around, but they used to tour, so if you ever hear of them in your neighborhood I'd recommend checking them out. It's a good time reliving some old school silliness.

BTW, has anyone heard about the new RIAA plan to start getting downloaders' internet service ceased?

I saw Iron Maiden in Melbourne back in the early '90's at a venue called festival hall. The memory that sticks with me is the smell of hair conditioner...those headbangers really looked after their flowing locks.

I heard about the RIAA plans. I think that they tried implementing that system in UK...not sure how it went. It seems to go against a bunch of legal principles. How can they prove who the offender actually is? IP addressed should not be enough.

Funnily enough, I read on Digg the other day that the RIAA is going to stop chasing individual offenders:

Oh. It's related to the new plans you mentioned.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/19/riaa-finds-its-soul-will-stop-suing-individuals-for-music-pirac/
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
-- Bertrand Russell
alphgeek

PreviousNext

Return to Free Frawl