Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

SMRT 'n' you: what's changed?

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

SMRT 'n' you: what's changed?

Postby Whateverman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Over the last few years of knowing you people, things have changed. I've read through Ray's posts from 2007, and he doesn't appear to have changed much. But we sure have. Our membership has changed, our writing styles, our approaches toward The Banana Man and even general theology in some cases.

At least, it's seemed to me that we've changed.

But I guess I'm curious to know if you think YOU have changed as a result of having spent at this forum.

I've recovered from "blog addiction", and find myself slowly moving away from places I used to spend lots of time on. Before joining this group, I never would have imagined that I'd feel compelled to engage people in discussion. I've also come to dislike my style of writing, and be slightly envious of the way some of you express yourselves. I don't think I've changed IRT the question of God's existence. If anything, I've come to realize that I'm close to being an atheist, but the differences between deism and atheism seem more distinct than they used to. Finally, I think I've come to know myself a little better, some of which I like and some of which I don't.

So, do you SMRTies think SMRT has changed you a little?
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Re: SMRT 'n' you: what's changed?

Postby E-lad » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes.
Every person I have ever talked to has changed me to some degree, ie, a drop in the bucket, but the level of water in the bucket inexorably increases, drop by drop.
A lot of the SMRTies, new and old, have added more than drops to the bucket from time to time.
I also think I have taken on a more irenic tone towards the fundies while losing some of my old irascible, cranky ways. You think?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

I don't know how much my ideas have changed by being here. I do know that I've met some people I'm proud to regard as friends.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby StewartP » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Amen
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
StewartP

Postby Whateverman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Agreed Zilch. Your meetings with SMRTies have made me wish I'd done the same as well.

Yes, Froggie, your tone seems more variable to me. You can still be irascible, but I've seen you make the "dispassionate intellectual" hat look good as well. I don't think I saw this hat 3 years ago.

I guess I'm looking for introspection, here...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby BeamStalk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm

I have become more assertive with my own stances. I used to try and tow a more accommodating demeanor but I have moved from that some.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Weemaryanne » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:34 pm

I'm still a smartass. And still not getting paid for my doggerel, nogodsdammit!

And I'm less willing to put up with BS than I used to be. I know you all remember Freed/Cynthia and how her last encounter with me went. (Her last encounter with any of us, for that matter.) There was a time when I probably wouldn't have done that because it would have made me feel guilty. Not anymore. Cynthia and Vera and I are all women of a certain age; and if I can figure some things out, then so can they and I won't cut 'em no slack.
Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. (Mark Twain)
I try to be cynical, but I just can't keep up. (Lily Tomlin)
Weemaryanne

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick, aka The Wrong End of Canada

Postby E-lad » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Weemaryanne wrote:I'm still a smartass. And still not getting paid for my doggerel, nogodsdammit!

And I'm less willing to put up with BS than I used to be. I know you all remember Freed/Cynthia and how her last encounter with me went. (Her last encounter with any of us, for that matter.) There was a time when I probably wouldn't have done that because it would have made me feel guilty. Not anymore. Cynthia and Vera and I are all women of a certain age; and if I can figure some things out, then so can they and I won't cut 'em no slack.

You definitely have a place in my "heart," Weemaryanne......... Y*:X
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby rufustfirefly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:55 am

I'm probably less confrontational than I use to be, unless someone really gets in my face. It's almost always a waste of time to try to discuss anything with a fundie. Maybe once in a great while you'll come across someone who might end up like Dan Barker, but usually. . .it's useless. Sometimes it's still fun to fuck with them just to fuck with them, but it gets old quick. I'd rather fight them politically, legally. And sometimes I just want to beat the shit out of some of them. Like today I see Carl is back. Jeez, what an asshole. You can't discuss anything rationally with someone like him or Terry Burton.

I am very glad this forum came together and proud that I played a small part in it. I raise a glass to the "regulars" that I'd be proud to call friend, with a taste to all the others. In the meantime, adios, motherfuckers.
rufustfirefly

Postby Quasar » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 am

I got an Orbital EMP Cannon out of it. Damn thing doesn't work most of the time, but you've gotta admit it's pretty darn stylish.

Seriously, though? I've established a much more casual conversational writing style I never used to have. Interestingly, my debate and pontification writing style has gone in the opposite direction: my vocabulary increases three-fold when I engage the intellectual-elitist engines. I just wish I was good at translating that to fiction writing: I can never think of decent synonyms when I'm narrativing.

And although I'm still very accomodating to relatively coherent fundies, my tolerance for one-line gotcha phrases has waned. I no longer put together a thousand word post every time someone says "you can't explain where males an' females come from, hur hur".

Overall, though, I've not changed much. I'd already had a bit of debating-fundies experience before I joined the 'tractors, so I did most of my changing before I got here. So I'll stick with the EMP Cannon answer. Oh, and I technically succeeded in taking over the world for a couple hours thanks to this forum, but nobody except me remembers that. Moral of the story: never build an amnesia ray if you don't intend to use it!
"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
- Zombie Marie Curie
Quasar

Next

Return to Free Frawl