Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

What are you drinking?

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

What are you drinking?

Postby Whateverman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:28 pm

Second only to the silliness of Christian fundamentalism, beer is SMRT's favorite topic. It's time we had a thread dedicated solely to this carbonated fermented comestible.

PS. in the interest of inclusivity and the tolerance of different lifestyles, this thread can also be used by the weird minority who drink other stuff. But don't push your luck...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Re: What are you drinking?

Postby Whateverman » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Sam Adams Latitude 48

I just found this a few weeks ago, and even on a limited budget, it's now on my weekly shopping list. I guess I prefer IPAs, and up til now, Sierra Nevada was my favorite. The Latitude 48 may take its place...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:00 pm

Whateverman wrote:Sam Adams Latitude 48

I just found this a few weeks ago, and even on a limited budget, it's now on my weekly shopping list. I guess I prefer IPAs, and up til now, Sierra Nevada was my favorite. The Latitude 48 may take its place...

Well, dear Wem-mington, it was you who got me hooked on said Sierra Nevada IPA (India Pale Ale.) IPA, has been a favorite for many years, but now you switch horses in the middle of the stream. OK, that's not intrinsically a bad thing. Living in the outback as I do, I'll have to make enquirements* to my local distributors as to the availability of your Sam Adams Latitude 48.

In the meantime, I continue to consider most malt beverages to be mere palette cleansers between euphoric sips of a more genteel imbibement**, sometimes also referred to as hard liquor, in the form of a good single malt scotch or a well refined vodka.

Having said that, I continue to keep my Busch lager stocked in my refrigerator as my everyday thirst quencher. Let's face it; nobody can get drunk on beer.

Of little consequence, and even less interest, I remember the day when almost every Smrt post ended up with a reference to beer or a reference to gratuitous sex. But that was then and this is now. G'day.

* I made that word up
** That one too
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Nice thread, WEM, my go-to beer is generally Labatt Blue, but I think my favorite is:

One of the best parts about summer is it's oberon season, and it's from Michigan like me. I'm also a huge fan of Red Stripe. Least favorite: Red Dog.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby CowHammer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm

E-lad wrote:Having said that, I continue to keep my Busch lager stocked in my refrigerator as my everyday thirst quencher. Let's face it; nobody can get drunk on beer.

I beg to differ! Now, I haven't gotten properly drunk on beer since college (beer pong with Miller Lite *shudder*), but my point remains!

I do like an IPA from time to time, but favorite beer these days is good ol' New Castle if I'm drinking at home, or a nice stout if I'm at a bar.
CowHammer

Postby Hugo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Nice thread, I love beers!

I have very uncommon tastes and I am also very proud of the local products we have here in Québec, so let me share some of my favorites that basically fall into two very different categories...

First, the strong ones, and I am sure you'll find the first 3 names interesting:

Don de Dieu (9%) (Gift from God)
La FIn du Monde (9%) (The End The World)
Maudite (8%) (The Damned)
Trois Pistoles (9%) (Name of a town in Québec)

I am terrible to describe beers in terms of "official" terms so I cant say much more than the fact that my favorite among these strong ones is the 'Fin du Monde'...

Next, at the complete other extremes, the other kind of beer that I really like are the fruity ones. My girlfriend says that's it because I am a little gay, not sure what to make out of this... but since I have no insecurity with my sexual orientation I am proud to say that yes, I like fruity-girly-gay beer, or whatever else you want to call them... Here's a new brand that was launched this spring. I instantly fell in love with it. It's called 'Ô Fruit'. I could find just 1 beer bottle picture and the general logo....

... and here are two "classics" here in Québec that have been around for quite some time. These two are actually made by the same brewer of the first 4 strong beers I mentioned.
One is apple flavored (Éphémère aux pommes) while the other is Blackcurrant flavored (Éphémère aux Cassis).

Oh and while searching for pictures I ran into another special beer that I really like, called Équinoxe du Printemps, (Spring Equinox). It's made by a a pub that also distribute its beer around the province and even export some outside the country sometimes apparently. They make this one in particular only during a few weeks in spring (hence the name) because it uses fresh maple syrup to add some flavor to it. It's another strong beer at 9% but surprisingly smooth in the mouth. I doubt Froggie would conclude that no one can get drunk on that one! ;)

Hugo

Postby Vagon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:59 pm

Pabst blue ribbon/Miller High Life "The Champagne of Beers".

Heh just kidding.

For a session beer I like Gage Roads "Wahoo" Premium Ale.
For one or two I like an IPA and Sierra Nevada certainly makes a good one - its just a little hard to find out this way. For general availability I go James Squires.
My go-to mixer is white rum (Bacardi is solid and available)
And my straight drinking spirit is a good scotch or small batch bourbon.
Wine is way too varied for my specific selections to mean a damn thing but generally I like Semillions, Sav Blancs and Merlots.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby perdita » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 am

Let's face it; nobody can get drunk on beer.

Granted, I'm a light-weight, but my oldest daughter was conceived after the Blessing of the Bock.

As for what we're drinking now, since it's summer, it's wheat:

perdita

Postby zilch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:27 pm

What I'm drinking now is a nice Zwickl from Schärdinger. But I must admit, the Amis are doing pretty good work in their microbreweries. Lots of the aforementioned IPAs are quite good- I'm partial to that from Lagunitas Breweries- but my favorite beer at the moment, alas unavailable here in Vienna, is "Hop in the Dark" by Deschutes Brewery in Oregon. Mmmm.......

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:06 pm

perdita wrote:..... my oldest daughter was conceived after the Blessing of the Bock.

In the back seat of a 1973 Chevy Vega?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Next

Return to Free Frawl