Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

What are you drinking?

Like The Padded Room, but SFW

Re: What are you drinking?

Postby Whateverman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm always disappointed by Grolsh - but those bottles are a home-brewer's wet dream...

My drink of choice, as I type this, is a tall glass containing a dozen ice cubes and Schweppe's Ginger Ale. The weather is summery here today, perhaps the last time we'll see 80 degree temperatures in 2011...
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

Postby E-lad » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:55 pm

Whateverman wrote:I'm always disappointed by Grolsh - but those bottles are a home-brewer's wet dream...

My drink of choice, as I type this, is a tall glass containing a dozen ice cubes and Schweppe's Ginger Ale. The weather is summery here today, perhaps the last time we'll see 80 degree temperatures in 2011...

We love Schweppe's Ginger Ale and always keep a liter or two on hand. Beth makes a crazy good punch that includes Schwepps and Lemon and lime sherbet, plus other stuff. She mixes all the juices and then floats Ice and blocks of the sherbet in the punch. We'll divide into two punch bowls and spike one with something or other.

Next, I didn't realize until I opened that case that the beer was in the swing top bottles, although the case weighed a ton. Of course I was happy to have the bottles! I plan to brew a case of IPA to have ready for Thanksgiving.

So, I drank two bottles of the Grolsch last night while we sat out back watching for shooting stars. It was far better than my everyday Busch that I keep around for medicinal purposes. It is a nice straw color and the head pure white, creamy, and well laced. The head lasted through the whole glass. There was not hint of sulphur to the nose. There was no metallic bite. The hops were mild to my taste with a slight pine note and I definitely tasted a hint of apricot in the finish. I think it would be great with some aged Gouda and nuts.

I do not like dark beers so my perspective is based on the lagers. For taste I prefer the IPAs .

I'm giving the Grolsch a B- minus.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby FrodoSaves » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Currently drinking: Local Norfolk mead. Hard to come by, but if ever there was a god, he's in that bottle. It's hard to go wrong with fermented honey. If you've never had mead, I would strongly urge you to investigate. It has the texture of ginger wine, but without the bite, the ABV of normal wine, and a great floral finish... If your'e into that. Plus, saying "mead!" in a medieval lordly accent is my new favorite activity.

Beers of choice:
- Kernel IPA - a small London-based microbrew. Simple, hoppy and strong.
- Kwak - crazy Belgian brew served in a gimmicky glass, but it's delicious.
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is always a reliable choice.

I've been trying to get my hands on as many American IPAs as I can recently, and enjoying them all immensely. Raging Bitch Belgian IPA from the Flying Dog Brewery was a memorable one!

Hard stuff: the peatiest scotch you can find! I was in the midst of a love affair with Lagavulin when I discovered Bowmore Enigma.
Froggie already took the best signature.
FrodoSaves

Postby Vagon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:07 am

+1 to Kwaks, because that gimmicky glass is a yard glass :D
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:02 am

Yeah, mead can be divine, but it can also put you into insulin shock when it's picksüß (cloyingly sweet). And I agree about IPAs- I'm more of a dark beer fan myself, but some of those Californian IPAs are mighty fine- and some of those Yankee ones too.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby zilch » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:24 pm

What I'm drinking right now:

One of the best wheat beers I know- it's naturtrüb, naturally turbid or unfiltered, which helps take off the otherwise overly bright edge of wheat; but it retains the refreshing zing. Mmmm.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

When it comes to drinking beer, I've always operated under the Buffalo Theory as expounded by Cliff to Norm Peterson on the classic TV show, "Cheers." The theory is as follows:

A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole keeps improving by the regular culling of the weakest members.
In much the same way, the human brain can operate only as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills off brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker cells, constantly making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

Viola, and cheers!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:26 pm

I knew there must be a scientific justification for drinking beer, but I didn't know what it was until now. Thanks, froggie!
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 pm

zilch wrote:I knew there must be a scientific justification for drinking beer, but I didn't know what it was until now. Thanks, froggie!

I am glad to be of service my dear Z-man.
E-lad

Postby Whateverman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:24 am

I had a strange experience a few days ago.

Went to a liquor store with the goal of writing down the prices for various brands of beer. I now work up the street from this place at a newly opened "country store" that will sell beer and wants to know how much the competition charges. Anyhoo, I walked into the liquor store feeling guilty but resolved to get the job done. I quickly noticed that NONE of the beer was marked, which scuttled my evil plans - so I walked around just to browse the selection.

I found something called "moonshine", and noting it was only 50%, decided to talk to the guy manning the cash register. We ended up having a nice conversation about all kinds of alcohol, including my favorite, bourbon. He got pretty excited at discovering this, and proceeded to tell me he used to drink bourbon all the time, but can no longer handle it due to a medical condition having to do with the kind of grain used in the distillation. He then runs to the store room and brings out a bottle of Wild Turkey Straight Rye, 101 proof, telling me he's able to drink it with no ill effects. Grabbing a thick scotch-style glass, he asks me how far I have to drive and begins pouring...

15 minutes later, I'm shaking his hand and promising if he orders me a bottle, I'll open it up in the store with him, and we'll celebrate the new year with it.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1238.aspx
"Polymath" means "having learned much"; the correct word for "having failed to learn much" is simply "Ray".
Baldy Slaphead
Whateverman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Free Frawl