Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Psalms 146:3

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Re: Psalms 146:3

Postby Milo » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:39 pm

I've been lurking and reading the conversation. Thanks for your reply.

Agreeable or not, the explanation makes no sense. Accepting a free gift that's already mine should not entail signing a contract to enter into an eternal relationship and a requirement to believe a certain set of facts. Since you cannot obtain salvation without accepting Jesus it is a transaction. There are people who believe that all are saved and at death you will realize the great love God has for you and you will be welcomed into the fold. Now, I mention this not to start an argument as to whether this is something believable, but to use it as an example of a belief that does not work on a "do this-do this- get that" model. Christianity is not one. The requirements may be different from say Islam, but you still have to do something to get something.

Carry on. I don't want to sidetrack the conversation.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:22 am

I'm just not seeing why it's hard to understand how man could create the story of how the all powerful god bent over backwards to save and protect us because he loved us so much, even despite our faults. It's easy to recognize the flaws of man, we do bad things to each other, and external bad things happen to us all the time. If your story says the creator loves us, why would he allow it? Is it so hard to believe we would create a story scapegoating former people who betrayed god to explain why bad things happen, and also explains our bad behavior? It all seems perfectly befitting our ego to think we are made in the image of the creator, and he went through so much sacrifice to save us from our wicked ways. God physically became one of us, why is it hard to think this is man made?

We are rewarded with a perfect kingdom of heaven, though we don't deserve it, but the creator of the universe loves us so much he gives us a way to get there, why is it hard to think this is man made? Then when you consider the slavery bits, crazy miraculous claims, primitive attitude towards women, etc., why is it hard to think this is man made?
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby Milo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 am

Stoned, there is plenty of precedent for the suffering servant and saving gods who suffer and rise again. The story was not new with Jesus.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Well, sure. I guess I'm just saying I don't quite understand why it's so hard to believe we could create such a story in the first place. The focus is god loving us so much, but then you need to account for suffering in spite of this fact. Well we screwed up, but he still loves us and does something to show his love to us. It's very me, me, me, which seems very human.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby zilch » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Chap- I just reread my last comment, and in retrospect, it seems rather snide. Apologies- you've been nothing but polite here. If you want to debate slavery in the Bible, I'm game. In any case, go well, be well, spread happiness.

cheers from almost summery Vienna, zilch
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby BeamStalk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:43 pm

It is not my argument that scripture is pro choice or pro life, I don't give a rat's what it says either way. It is just as you say the application of scripture that both sides are using that I am pointing out. The Bible can have any idea you want read into it. You say that you need guidance of the holy spirit to correctly read it, but I guarantee that all sides of each of these disagreements are going to say they are guided by the holy spirit.

When to me, it just looks like people finding something in scripture that supports their argument. Which makes scripture in turn look like a big grab bag of whatever you want it to say. It is as if a bunch of different people wrote it in different time frames to boost their own agendas. And now we have people coming almost 2000 years after the last of it was written under a different zeitgeist of morality then what was present when it was written trying to force or hold on to their own agendas. So you end up with YECs, OECs, guided evolution, pro slavery, anti slavery, pro choice, pro life, pro gay marriage, anti gay period, pro interracial marriage, anti interracial marriage, the list goes on. And in the end the church eventually accepts what the morality of the time instead of what is actually specifically written in the bible, sometimes kicking and screaming the whole way.

So to me, anyone that says they have the real interpretation of what a passage means is just trying to blow smoke up my ass.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby BeamStalk » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:12 am

wasn't trying to kill this conversation, just pointing out what I have seen...
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby zilch » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm

BeamStalk wrote:And in the end the church eventually accepts what the morality of the time instead of what is actually specifically written in the bible, sometimes kicking and screaming the whole way.

Indeed, beams. And after they've accepted the morality of the time, they claim it was their idea all along.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby E-lad » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:13 pm

zilch wrote:
BeamStalk wrote:And in the end the church eventually accepts what the morality of the time instead of what is actually specifically written in the bible, sometimes kicking and screaming the whole way.

Indeed, beams. And after they've accepted the morality of the time, they claim it was their idea all along.

And that is well documented in the USA in regards to their opposition to ending slavery and interracial marriage.
Finally, in 1984 the Southern Baptist Convention formally apologized for their part in perpetuating slavery. It only took them a hundred years.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Previous

Return to SMRT BS