Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Mark 1:1-11

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Mark 1:1-11

Postby Milo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:30 pm

1The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

There are many terms in the New Testament that have layered meanings, most of which escape us in these modern times. Son of God does not mean the literal son of God. Many people have been called sons of God, but in this case probably refers to messianic expectations. Mark is not saying Jesus is a co-deity with God the Father. Apparently in the earliest manuscripts the phrase Son of God is not included.

2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.

Mark goes to scripture to tell his story, to set the background. This verse is from Malachi 3

1Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the LORD, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

This verse is from Isaiah 40:3

3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

John had a thriving ministry preaching the repentence of sins and the coming of the Kingdom of God well before Jesus came on the scene. Later on there are hints of rivalry between the two groups.

6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;

This is an overt reference to Elijah. This verse is from Kings 1:8

And they answered him, He was an hairy man, and girt with a girdle of leather about his loins. And he said, It is Elijah the Tishbite.

Mark lifts his description of John straight from scripture.

7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.

John was expecting the arrival of the Messiah who would usher in the Kingdom of God and we are being told that Jesus is this guy. I think the sandal reference is also from scripture but I'm not sure.

8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

This verse may have been altered by adding "the" before Holy Ghost making it seem like a seperate entity in line with the doctrine of the trinity. The original meaning could have been that he will baptise you with spirit.

9And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.
10And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him:
11And there came a voice from heaven, saying, Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

The baptism of Jesus posed a problem for Christians. Mark created this senario and all future gospel writers had to deal with it. Mark makes no mention of Jesus being divine or sinless beforehand. Jesus is singled out at baptism by God and this is the start of his mission. This is the adoptionist view.

Next up, Jesus is tempted in the desert and begins his ministry.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Mark 1:1-11

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Some people think Mark's gospel originally began with verse 9. It does make the story less awkward if you leave off the first part.
Milo

Postby freed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Milo wrote:Some people think Mark's gospel originally began with verse 9. It does make the story less awkward if you leave off the first part.

Why is that?
To avoid deception, Christianity instructs people to study the Bible and believe what God says. Religion requires belief in what man says God says. When people without discernment, submit to men who are naturally prone to error, they are easily deceived
freed

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:30 pm

No questions!

Just kidding, I'll have to go back and look but it had to do with the flow of the writing and maybe it was missing in the earliest manuscripts?
Milo

Return to SMRT BS