Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Mark 12-20

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Mark 12-20

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:39 pm

We pick up the story right after the baptism of Jesus.

12 And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness.

Jesus recieves the Spirit at baptism and immediately is driven into the wilderness. The concept that Jesus is "forced" into the wilderness is the topic of many a sermon and web discussion. It seems reasonable to me, if you assume Mark did not think Jesus was divine, that Jesus would have needed a firm push from God and a period of testing and training.

13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

The motif of divine men with the beasts in the wilderness is a common one and so is a period of testing for heroes and leaders, so it is not surprising that this also happens to Jesus. Mark provides very few details of the ordeal. Some people question how Jesus being one with God and sinless could be tempted to sin. I don't think Mark thinks that Jesus is God, so a bit of testing is in order to see if Jesus can resist temptation. God does like to test his followers. Forty days of course is bible speak for a long time and is a popular number in the Old Testament.

14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

The narrative is vague. How long is "now after that"? John is in prison leaving a void in the Kingdom preaching business which Jesus promptly fills. Interestingly enough, the literal translation (Young's Literal Translation) is "And after the delivering up of John, Jesus came to Galilee, proclaiming the good news of the reign of God"

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

According to Bart Ehrman, Jesus can be best understood as an apocalyptic prophet. He believed that a new kingdom was coming soon, within his lifetime, and it would be ruled by God on Earth.

The good news was not that Jesus has been sent to die for us but that the Kingdom of God was at hand- the end was near. Repent! Jesus and his disciples weren't telling people to accept Jesus as their savior,they were telling people the end was near, Jesus was ushering in a new Kingdom, and repent now if you want to get into that kingdom.

16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
17And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.
18And straightway they forsook their nets, and followed him.

19And when he had gone a little farther thence, he saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the ship mending their nets.
20And straightway he called them:
and they left their father Zebedee in the ship with the hired servants, and went after him.

There are a few references to "fishers of men" in the Old Testament, Jeremiah 16:16 being one of them. “Behold, I will send for many fishermen,” says the LORD, “and they shall fish them; and afterward I will send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain and every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks.

The scene of Jesus calling for disciples is reminiscent of Elisha in 1 Kings 19:19-21:

19 So he departed from there, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he was with the twelfth. Then Elijah passed by him and threw his mantle on him. 20 And he left the oxen and ran after Elijah, and said, “Please let me kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow you.”
And he said to him, “Go back again, for what have I done to you?”
21 So Elisha turned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen and slaughtered them and boiled their flesh, using the oxen’s equipment, and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he arose and followed Elijah, and became his servant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half way through the first chapter of Mark. So far Jesus has been baptized by John, anointed by God, driven into the wilderness, tested and tempted, preached the good news, and chosen four of his disciples. Busy, busy!

Please do your homework, there will be a quiz on Friday.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Mark 12-20

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Nicely done, Milo. Thanks! PS, I will be opting out of he quiz!
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Note to self- give Froggie an F for missing quiz.
Milo

Postby freed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Milo wrote:We pick up the story right after the baptism of Jesus.

12 And immediately the spirit driveth him into the wilderness.

Jesus recieves the Spirit at baptism and immediately is driven into the wilderness. The concept that Jesus is "forced" into the wilderness is the topic of many a sermon and web discussion. It seems reasonable to me, if you assume Mark did not think Jesus was divine, that Jesus would have needed a firm push from God and a period of testing and training.

13 And he was there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and the angels ministered unto him.

The motif of divine men with the beasts in the wilderness is a common one and so is a period of testing for heroes and leaders, so it is not surprising that this also happens to Jesus. Mark provides very few details of the ordeal. Some people question how Jesus being one with God and sinless could be tempted to sin. I don't think Mark thinks that Jesus is God, so a bit of testing is in order to see if Jesus can resist temptation. God does like to test his followers. Forty days of course is bible speak for a long time and is a popular number in the Old Testament.

From a different perspective, as this story begins, the first important thing that happens to Christ is His baptism.
This is His coronation as the new King from heaven. He is now granted divine authority.
Mark then immediately wants to demonstrate that authority over
Satan, over sin and over sinners.

If Jesus is going to conquer Satan, sin, and sinners he has to demonstrate the power to do that.
Can the Son of God go through the most alluring temptation Satan can devise?
He will never be able to establish His Kingdom if He cannot conquer Satan.
He must be able to crush the serpent's head, in the language of Genesis 3:15.
He demonstrates that he does have the power to overcome Satan.
His authority over Satan is clear.

Mark doesn't give us the reason why the Holy Spirit impelled Him into the wilderness, but
Matthew 4:1 does. It says "The Holy Spirit did this so that Jesus would be tempted by
the devil."
To avoid deception, Christianity instructs people to study the Bible and believe what God says. Religion requires belief in what man says God says. When people without discernment, submit to men who are naturally prone to error, they are easily deceived
freed

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 pm

I wonder how the writer knew what happened to Jesus in the desert?
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby freed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:06 pm

E-lad wrote:I wonder how the writer knew what happened to Jesus in the desert?

Maybe the Holy Spirit told him.
To avoid deception, Christianity instructs people to study the Bible and believe what God says. Religion requires belief in what man says God says. When people without discernment, submit to men who are naturally prone to error, they are easily deceived
freed

Postby E-lad » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 pm

freed wrote:
E-lad wrote:I wonder how the writer knew what happened to Jesus in the desert?

Maybe the Holy Spirit told him.

I was taking to the Holy Spirit just yesterday and he says he didn't tell anyone that story.
E-lad

Postby Milo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:21 pm

freed wrote:From a different perspective, as this story begins, the first important thing that happens to Christ is His baptism.
This is His coronation as the new King from heaven. He is now granted divine authority.
Mark then immediately wants to demonstrate that authority over
Satan, over sin and over sinners.

If Jesus is going to conquer Satan, sin, and sinners he has to demonstrate the power to do that.
Can the Son of God go through the most alluring temptation Satan can devise?
He will never be able to establish His Kingdom if He cannot conquer Satan.
He must be able to crush the serpent's head, in the language of Genesis 3:15.
He demonstrates that he does have the power to overcome Satan.
His authority over Satan is clear.

Mark doesn't give us the reason why the Holy Spirit impelled Him into the wilderness, but
Matthew 4:1 does. It says "The Holy Spirit did this so that Jesus would be tempted by
the devil."

It reminds me of the scene from one of the Indiana Jones movie where the assassin comes out brandishing his sword. Indiana looks at him and the whip he holds in his hand and then pulls his revolver and shoots the guy dead. If Jesus is God, even half god/half man, wrestling with Satan should be akin to taking candy from a baby. Who does Jesus demonstrate his power to? God? Himself? Like Froggy said, it wasn't like Jesus had an audience.
Milo

Postby freed » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:18 pm

Milo wrote:
...If Jesus is God, even half god/half man, wrestling with Satan should be akin to taking candy from a baby. Who does Jesus demonstrate his power to? God? Himself? Like Froggy said, it wasn't like Jesus had an audience.

Well, we know for sure the Holy Spirit and the angels were there. I'm not sure He needed an
audience, but with the scriptures being Holy Spirit inspired, there's your eye witness, or audience.
One doesn't necessarily need to witness something in order to believe it.
Also, for clarity, Jesus didn't wrestle with Satan. Satan only tempted him.
Being tempted by Satan is something all believers have to face.
Jesus demonstrated his ability to resist the devil but also his allegiance to God - something
Adam couldn't do.
freed

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:15 am

The creator of the universe can be tempted by something?
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Next

Return to SMRT BS