Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Mark 2:1-12

BS = Bible Study... Get it?

Moderator: BaldySlaphead

Mark 2:1-12

Postby Milo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Mark 2

1 And again he entered into Capernaum after some days; and it was noised that he was in the house.
2 And straightway many were gathered together, insomuch that there was no room to receive them, no, not so much as about the door: and he preached the word unto them.

Crowds following Jesus is a reoccuring theme of Mark.

3 And they come unto him, bringing one sick of the palsy, which was borne of four.
4 And when they could not come nigh unto him for the press, they uncovered the roof where he was: and when they had broken it up, they let down the bed wherein the sick of the palsy lay.

So picture this, four guys are lugging a paralysed man to see Jesus. They couldn't get near Jesus because of the crowds but they can get to the house. Somehow, they get this poor man on the roof. Either they happened to be carrying rope or luckily found some. Then the men have to break the roof up so unless they used their bare hands they also brought tools. Finally, they dangle the paralysed man through the roof to the room where Jesus was preaching.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.

Sin causes illness. Demons cause illness.

6 But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,

Again with the scribes.

7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?
8And immediately when Jesus perceived in his spirit that they so reasoned within themselves, he said unto them, Why reason ye these things in your hearts?
9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?

Only God can forgive sins and only God knows men's hearts.
Jesus uses a Cynic technique to turn the tables on his challengers and answers their question with a question. This answer does not address the scribes question. Who cares which one is easier to say?

10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)

This may be an aside to the reader, not the words of Jesus. Mark calls Jesus the Son of man, another of those loaded terms. It can mean human being or be used as a messianic title. Ezekel uses the term frequently and of course " And behold, One like the Son of Man..." found in Daniel.

11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion.

More amazed crowds, another Markian theme.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: Mark 2:1-12

Postby MaxFF » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

I wish I had something intelligent or insightful to say, but unfortunately all I have is this.

it was noised that he was in the house.

I think its time to start using this in everyday conversation.

Max: Hey guys guess what? It was noised that Herman Cain sexually harassed some women.
Bob: Well the noise I heard says its just liberal media trying to frame him.
Max: Come on, 5 different women noised accusations, surely they can't all be lying.
Cal: Hey guys have you heard the latest noise? Noise, noise, noise.
Max: Noise, Noise, Noise, Noise...

From then on the conversation is just a bunch of idiots saying the word noise again and again.
It's obvious that guns are the work of an omniscient creator, how else would they fit perfectly into the human hand
-Stephen Colbert on the topic of god given second amendment rights.
MaxFF

Re: Mark 2:1-12

Postby Milo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm

I had forgotten how boring bible study is. No wonder we let it drop for so long.
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Return to SMRT BS