Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Probelms

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Re: Probelms

Postby Vagon » Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 am

The good thing about computers is there's always a solution even if it is not obvious at first.
In this case the problem effects all people who had a failed login count of a certain number. At this stage the user is asked to identify through a secondary verification system which is faulty.
Vms has inserted some code to fix the bug which spoofs what should be getting returned by the higher level verification system.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby vms » Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 am

The problem affected only those forum users that failed to log in successfully three times in a row. On the forth and subsequent tries the forum software requires you to provide additional verification by having you enter a confirmation code it displays, something like this:

example.png

This is a security measure to stop password guessing software that’s trying to guess a user’s password.

That’s when the problem occurs. If I understood it correctly it was the generation of the random text that’s used as the confirmation code that was causing the problem.

Hope that helps.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Tue May 24, 2011 1:40 am

Captcha is cool. One of the sides of text is random generated and the other is taken from a book scanning.

Whenever you answer one you are helping to digitally reproduce the book that has been scanned. So a whole bunch of classics that are in the public domain are now being made available in digital format via this technology.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby rufustfirefly » Tue May 24, 2011 2:00 am

Why were they having trouble logging in?
rufustfirefly

Postby AD6LR » Tue May 24, 2011 4:28 am

So did you do the reinstall of the newer version of the BB or just a fix?
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver....
AD6LR
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 am

@RufusT probably just them forgetting pws.

@KG6MSO Just the fix. A reinstall requires some extra mod installs which vms was understandably not confident in doing at the risk of losing functionality entirely.
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Tue May 24, 2011 6:42 am

This is a bit OT, and I know it's been mentioned before, but why is this site so often so slow? I regularly have to wait twenty seconds or so for pages to come up, and they often time out. Amba forums, which is also in the States, is always fast. Could it be that they have help from Someone?
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby lehman scott » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 am

FWIW, i never was presented with the captcha screen until immediately after the fix was implemented...
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
- - Barack Obama

Pessimism of the Intellect; Optimism of the Will.
- - Antonio Gramsci
lehman scott

Postby vms » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 am

@KG6MSO, wrt random log offs, I've never experienced that. What URL are you using to access the forums? I ask that because a quick google search found this article:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2117139

@zilch, I've seen sluggish response but don't remember it ever timing out. So many possible reasons for poor performance. Could be that at times the load on the hosting system has exceeded its capacity. What time of day are you usually on?
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby zilch » Tue May 24, 2011 8:39 am

I'm usually on in the morning here in Vienna, that is 6 to 8 AM GMT.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions