Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Probelms

A place for members to help other members with questions about how to navigate the forums, how to post, ect. Feel free to make suggestions here as well.

Yes, we can all read the FAQ, but sometimes the question either isn't covered or it just makes more sense coming from a fellow member.

Re: Probelms

Postby AD6LR » Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am

@vms http://www.wearesmrt.com/bb/

I also notice a lot ofd sluggish response.... BT has noticed it too.

It's common early in the morning PDT say midnight and on.
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver....
AD6LR
Site Admin

Postby BathTub » Tue May 24, 2011 9:35 pm

And don't forget the broken search.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Wed May 25, 2011 2:28 am

sluggishness occurs around 3-4pm GMT+10 for me, I assumed it was doing automatic back-ups when the least amount of users were on.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby vms » Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 am

I agree that it’s probably a backup that’s causing the poor response since it keeps happening at the same time of day. The times mentioned is early morning here in the US which is usually when automatic backups run. IOW, nothing we can do about it.

WRT the random log offs, I googled around to see if others have had that problem. Others have and offered the following suggestions:

• When you log in check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box.
• Problem may be corrupted cookies so use your browser to delete all cookies and then try logging on.

That’s it. Bath, what exactly is the problem with search? Seems to work OK for me, and that’s before my account was elevated to administrator.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby BathTub » Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 am

It's not returning as many results as it should. limited by age or something. Try Henry Morris. I know there were more than one post referencing henry morris.
BathTub
Site Admin

Postby AD6LR » Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Logouts seem to be fixed.

In fact, the "keep me logged in" seems to be working!

Three cheers for vms!!!
AD6LR
Site Admin

Postby vms » Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am

HH, I was able to log into your account after I changed the password. I was required to enter a confirmation code. Did you see that? It should have looked like this. Anyway, I e-mailed you your new password to the e-mail address listed in your account. If you didn’t get it let me know here.

As for the search problem that Bath mentioned it appears to be a corrupted search index. I tried to rebuild it on the copied SMRT forums on my laptop. Ran for about 12 hours and then aborted with:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect key file for table './wearesmr_phpb1/phpbb_sessions.MYI'; try to repair it [126]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Plus the filesystem got switched to read-only mode with this message:

Message from syslogd@ at Thu May 26 05:57:00 2011 ...
localhost kernel: journal commit I/O error

Don’t know if it’s a phpBB problem or that I have the forums running on a virtual machine. Vagon, any thoughts? Anyway, the system was fubar’d so I had to delete the VM and restored from backup.

The search index has two ‘backends’ available, ‘Fulltext native’ which is the default and ‘Fulltext mysql’. I switched to ‘Fulltext mysql’ and did the rebuild again, that worked, and the problem was fixed. So should I rebuild the search index using the ‘Fulltext mysql’ backend?
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby Vagon » Thu May 26, 2011 11:29 pm

vms wrote:Don’t know if it’s a phpBB problem or that I have the forums running on a virtual machine. Vagon, any thoughts? Anyway, the system was fubar’d so I had to delete the VM and restored from backup.

The search index has two ‘backends’ available, ‘Fulltext native’ which is the default and ‘Fulltext mysql’. I switched to ‘Fulltext mysql’ and did the rebuild again, that worked, and the problem was fixed. So should I rebuild the search index using the ‘Fulltext mysql’ backend?

Not sure to be honest, I think it goes without saying we need to tread carefully if it screwed your VM.
I'd go with the results of your investigation rebuild the index on fulltext MySQL, but as always you'll need to go to PHPMyAdmin and get an export of the DB to back-up in case of failure.
"Jesus said its gonna be alright; he's gonna pack my bags so I can walk in the light; you don't mind if I abuse myself so I can hold my head up?" The Choirboys
Vagon
Site Admin

Postby vms » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:00 am

Unfortunately the search index rebuild didn’t work. In fact the search now doesn’t return any posts, sorry. Until a solution is found an alternative is to go to Google and do a site search like this:

henry morris site:www.wearesmrt.com

HH, I tried e-mailing you a new password but the e-mail address you have listed in your account is no longer valid. If you see me (vms) or e-lad on chat, ask us, we have your new password.

vms
Site Admin

Postby AD6LR » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:19 am

The random log offs were gone for the last week...

Now they are back with a vengeance...

I think we need to call an old priest and a young priest....
AD6LR
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Navigation/Forum Help & Suggestions