Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

The power of wishful thinking.

A place to discuss The Secret, What The Bleep Do You Know, ghost hunters, Scientology, speaking in tongues, pseudoscience and other general quackaloonery.

The power of wishful thinking.

Postby zilch » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:17 am

Of course no one would rather believe that global warming is real, just as no one would prefer to believe that we will die someday and just be dead. Here's a Nobel Laureate, a biochemist, who succumbs to wishful thinking and puts more wind in the sails of the deniers. The thing is, if you just look around, global warming is simply undeniable. Climate change denial, like Moon Landing denial, or Holocaust denial, or 9/11 trooth, is a kind of religion: a faith that spites real world evidence in favor of a doctrine: I will survive my death, there are bad guys and good guys, I don't need to change my life. Who wouldn't prefer that kind of trip? Unfortunately, the real world trumps our desires.

You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Re: The power of wishful thinking.

Postby Milo » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:26 pm

In all of the end of the world movies the people of earth band together, face the problem, and find a solution. I never thought it would be like this- we all pretend nothing is happening and sit like a frog in a pot of water waiting to boil to death. It makes me very sad. :cry:
Stop doubting and beleive Milo. Then everything will make sense.
Milo

Re: The power of wishful thinking.

Postby zilch » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Indeed, milo. Although I seem to remember seeing somewhere that this story about frogs is not true: frogs do eventually jump out of the pot when it gets too warm. The trouble is, even if we want to jump out of the pot, there's nowhere to jump.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Return to Cheese & Quackers