Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Children's home denies donation from atheist group

A place to discuss The Secret, What The Bleep Do You Know, ghost hunters, Scientology, speaking in tongues, pseudoscience and other general quackaloonery.

Children's home denies donation from atheist group

Postby ThorGoLucky » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local-news/mus ... aise-money

Bigotry prioritized over children's home.
ThorGoLucky

Re: Children's home denies donation from atheist group

Postby BeamStalk » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Dammit Oklahoma.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby vms » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:04 pm

The Friendly Atheist blog about this. And the fundies will continue to claim atheists are selfish and do no charity.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... principle/
A Religious Charity in Oklahoma Says It’ll Reject All Money Raised By a Local Atheist On Principle
August 24, 2016 by Hemant Mehta 89 Comments

***Update***: Matt tells me he’s giving the charity until 7:00p tonight to accept the money or Camp Quest will get all of it.

I posted last night about atheist Matt Wilbourn‘s $100 donation to a Baptist-run children’s charity in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

Because he gave the money on behalf of the Muskogee Atheist Community, which he and his wife Keli co-founded, the Murrow Indian Children’s Home refused the cash, saying “it would go against everything they believe in.”

Matt and Keli Wilbourn

A generous interpretation of that line suggests that the American Baptist Churches Association, which funds the charity, would never work with atheists even to advance their shared goals. (A less generous interpretation would accuse these religious people of believing atheists are incapable of doing something nice.)

Matt really wanted to know how much money the charity would refuse from atheists — $250? $1,000? — so he began a GoFundMe campaign to raise even more. His efforts have raised an astonishing $11,500 as of this writing. (Did you blink? Because he’s probably raised even more since then.)

And guess what? The Baptists still aren’t taking it.

According to a report from MuskogeeNow.com, the group’s president says they still won’t take the money on principle. Which makes you wonder what the orphan children they supposedly help have to say about this controversy…

Dr. Sharon Woolwine, president of the Murrow board of trustees, said the home is declining the money on principle.

“He wants his organization’s name as a donor on our program for our pow wow,” she said. “That is unacceptable.”

Told that the group had mentioned they’re just trying to foster cooperation between atheists and Christians, she said it was still not acceptable.

“I don’t trust him,” she said. “I think he’s using it to get more publicity for his organization. We believe in Matthew 10:32-33.”

Why is that “unacceptable”? Donors deserve to be recognized, and putting the atheist group’s name on the program doesn’t suggest an endorsement of their non-belief.

And so what if he’s getting publicity for it? This isn’t about sticking it to Baptists. It’s not some sort of atheist con game. Matt is ready to give them all the money he’s raised so far. The Children’s Home administrators just have to pull the stick out of their collective ass and accept it.

They don’t even have to say “thank you.” We’re well beyond formalities at this point.

Just to reiterate, this charity that says it cares for “American Indian children that are in out-of-home placement as a result of abuse and neglect” are refusing to accept $11,500 (and counting) because atheists touched the money.

It’s irresponsible. It’s negligent. It’s completely irrational.

And it’s all in the name of Jesus.

Remember: If the religious charity continues to reject the money, it will all go to Camp Quest. You can donate right here.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby ThorGoLucky » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:27 pm

It’s irresponsible. It’s negligent. It’s completely irrational.

Religion.
ThorGoLucky

Postby BaldySlaphead » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:10 am

$22,000 now.
BaldySlaphead

Postby vms » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:47 pm

Now a xian has started a counter fund raising effort. Her post is full of misunderstanding.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... sts-money/
Out of Spite, a Christian is Fundraising for the Same Baptist Charity That Rejected Atheists’ Money
August 25, 2016 by Hemant Mehta 28 Comments

Readers of this site know by now that an atheist tried to donate money to the Baptist-run Murrow Indian Children’s Home in Oklahoma, only to have them reject the cash — ranging from the initial $100 to the fundraised $24,000 (and counting).

Now a Christian woman has started her own fundraiser for the Children’s Home… apparently to spite atheists for making such a big deal about this.

The description of Tracy Hoos‘ campaign shows a remarkable misunderstanding of the facts.

I am a Christian, citizen of Muscogee Creek Nation, that supports Murrow Indian Home. Murrow takes in tribal children in the foster system that are not able to be placed with other foster families. They are a faith based organization that has recently came under the scrutiny of many for standing firm in their faith and not accepting monies from the Muskogee Atheist Club [sic] to sponsor their powwow. A powwow is a sacred event that in my opinion was selected by this organization not out of their goodwill but to only stir the pot. I am inspired by Murrow’s faithfulness. So we are starting another go fund me page to support their powwow. If you feel led to support then please do, if not do not. Second if the other group is so inclined to donate, just cut them a check. No strings attached, no need for recognition. But that is not your intention.

1) The atheists, led by Matt Wilbourn, did not give money to the faith-based charity to “stir the pot.” Matt has said repeatedly that he learned about the organization when a staffer came by his workplace. He was moved by what they did and wanted to make a donation. This wasn’t some conspiracy to pick on Christians.

2) The end of her description is especially infuriating. She acts like the atheists only promised to give the money with strings attached. That’s another lie and it’s irresponsible of Hoos not to have done her homework on this matter.

When Matt gave his $100, he filled out the form provided by the staffer. That form asked him how much he wanted to donate and if he wanted to make the donation on anyone else’s behalf. So he wrote in “Muskogee Atheist Community,” since he knew his members would appreciate it. (Plus, the plan was to reimburse himself $100 from the group’s funds.)

Matt may not have known this, but the Children’s Home intended to print the name of all donors — and everyone on whose behalf a donation was made — in the pow wow program. This conflict is only happening because they didn’t want the word “atheist” appearing on that list.

In other words, Matt didn’t donate with strings attached. He just expected that his group would receive the same recognition as every other one.

The Murrow Indian Children’s Home is free to not list the names of their donors in the program. But it’s profoundly disturbing that they would selectively exclude atheists when they’re recognizing everybody else.

Hoos’ fundraiser is up to $1,050 (with a goal of $20,000). That’s all well and good. If it helps the children, I hope she raises more.

But her rationale is full of holes. She’s full of the same ignorance and bigotry as the Christian group she’s trying to help. Maybe she, like the group’s leaders, should be thanking the atheists for their generosity instead of pretending like this was a selfish move on their part.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.--Winston Churchill

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.--H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
vms
Site Admin

Postby vms » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:05 pm

Boy these xians at that children's' home are being real pricks.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -involved/
Oklahoma Christian Charity Now Says It Won’t Accept Money From Churches If Atheists Were Involved
August 31, 2016 by Hemant Mehta 137 Comments

The last time we posted about the Murrow Indian Children’s Home, they had just rejected a donation of well over $20,000 because it came from Matt Wilbourn on behalf of the Muskogee Atheist Community (which he and his wife Keli co-founded).

The organization’s leaders said accepting money from atheists (and giving them credit for it as they do with all their donations) would “go against everything they believe in.”

Matt said the money raised through his GoFundMe campaign would go to Camp Quest Oklahoma instead — all except for $5,106.47 (including his original donation and amount it took to mail it back to him) which he promised would go to the kids at the Children’s Home, even if the group’s leaders were too stubborn to accept it.

If they wouldn’t take Matt’s money directly, he said, he would donate it anonymously. If they wouldn’t accept that, he would donate the amount to a local church, which would then pass along the same amount to the Children’s Home.

Well, we have a bit of an update on that.

Matt called the Children’s Home today to tell them he wanted to make the anonymous donation — not to get credit, but to make sure they weren’t just going to send the amount back to him as they did before.

He added that “if it would make them feel more comfortable, we can have Father Bob Wickizer from Grace Episcopal Church in Muskogee, OK bring the cashier’s check to them.”

After taking a few minutes to speak with the board of trustees, the staffer called him back with a message: The Children’s Home was still going to refuse his donation “based on their biblical principles.”

Even if it came from a pastor.

That means the Children’s Home is not just rejecting money that’s been raised by atheists, they’re also rejecting checks in the amount of $5,106.47. Because only the devil would ever give that amount, I suppose. They’re rejecting this money, even though they don’t have to give Matt or his atheist group credit.

They’re rejecting the money even when it comes by way of another pastor, because they know atheists were involved in the donation chain.

I know laundered money is frowned upon, but this is ridiculous.

It’s more idiotic stubbornness in the name of Jesus, and the children they’re supposed to be helping are the ones deprived of the kindness of godless strangers.

vms
Site Admin

Postby vms » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:02 pm

The saga continues:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... -on-funds/
Christian Charity That Rejected Huge Donation From Atheists is Now “Extremely Behind on Funds”
September 2, 2016 by Hemant Mehta 3 Comments

There’s this Christian charity in Oklahoma, the Murrow Indian Children’s Home. You might have heard about them since we’ve posted quite a few things about them recently.

Well, get this: One of their staffers posted on Facebook yesterday all about how the group could really use some money…

To all my amazing friends. As most of you know by now, I am working as the social services rep for the Murrow Indian Children’s Home. We are a faith based, non-profit organization that relies solely on private donors and our annual Pow WOW. This is our only fund raising event of the year. It will be October 1st, starting at 2:00pm at the Bacone Student Life Center. We are extremely behind on funds and donated items for our silent auction this year. We are also short on vendors. I am asking for y’all to just consider donating something. Anything. Even just sharing this post so someone else could see it would be greatly appreciated and most importantly, a huge blessing for our kids!! Thank you. You can get in touch with me here or call… Again, thank you and God bless!!

They are “extremely behind on funds” and want y’all to just donate “something. Anything.”

Let’s hope some kind soul gives them $100.

Or $5,106.47.

Or — and I’m just pulling this number out of my ass — $28,280.

Where, oh where, could they find that money…?

If only some generous benefactor would drop all that money into their lap without asking for anything special in return…

I’ll send my thoughts and prayers.

vms
Site Admin

Postby Jessica » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Stubborn, thoughtless, ignorant behaviour. They would rather see the children suffer than accept money from an atheist group.
But if they got out of fog of prideful selfishness they could see that would not only help the children but be a great chance to evangelise. The atheists want a closer connection with us. Great! Fire up the gospel spreading machine!
No. Indian children, who have already been persecuted by loving Christian brethren, are losing out again, all to prove a point.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby E-lad » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 pm

Jessica wrote:Stubborn, thoughtless, ignorant behaviour. They would rather see the children suffer than accept money from an atheist group.
But if they got out of fog of prideful selfishness they could see that would not only help the children but be a great chance to evangelise. The atheists want a closer connection with us. Great! Fire up the gospel spreading machine!
No. Indian children, who have already been persecuted by loving Christian brethren, are losing out again, all to prove a point.

Early humans were clannish and tribal, to say the least. It turned out that charismatic leaders convinced the masses that they, the leaders, had a direct connection to their god of choice. This still happens to this very day and it has been one of life's unanswered questions, in my my mind, why this is so. Even after all the study I have done including Dawkins Memes stuf et & et, philosophy..... I still cannot fathom how this shit has persevered. I don't buy any of the standard answers, Yet I buy all of them in degrees.

One of my top three, 'E-lad's Most Maddening Mysteries of Modern Mankind.'
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Next

Return to Cheese & Quackers