Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

Atheist near death experience refutes afterlife?

A place to talk about specific theists and our interactions with 'em. Should we engage or dismiss? Are there effective strategies?

Atheist near death experience refutes afterlife?

Postby the_ignored » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:31 am

This is a review of one of Sorbo's movies, Let There Be Light.

I felt compelled to write about this film: a Christian propaganda piece orbiting around the notion that a near death experience (NDE) gave an atheist evidence of the afterlife, having had a near death experience myself. More than 10 years ago, I was working as a law enforcement officer, when I was responding in my patrol vehicle to an emergency call and ended up in a very bad accident. The injuries I sustained from this accident required me to be admitted to the hospital and required surgery. During my stay, I was put on pain medication that was delivered to me via an automated IV machine. Unfortunately, the machine malfunctioned and the pain medication was gravity fed into my system causing an overdose. I was clinically dead for only a few minutes before being resuscitated by the hospital staff. During the time that I was dead, I didn’t see any light at the end of the tunnel. Nor did a voice comfort me. Nor did I experience visions of loved ones that had gone to the grave. Instead I saw a gray horizon of intersecting geometric planes collide with no end in sight. I remember being scared and fearful of never seeing my daughter again.

Now I am not saying that since I didn’t see or hear any of the things that others saw makes them wrong and me right. That’s because I know that what I experienced can be explained by science. I know this now, but at the time I was a church going Christian. Although it was a few years later that I totally walked away from religion, this experience marked the beginning of that journey. So what could explain these experiences shared by those who experience NDE? What have scientific studies learned about NDE? Well we know that lack of oxygen to the brain can cause hallucinations. Isn’t it more likely that since respiratory failure often leads to these events, that oxygen deprivation would be the likely cause of such visions?

Some more science stuff examining NDE's.
the_ignored

Return to Care and Feeding of Recalcitrant, Incorrigible Fundies