Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

John Oliver on televangelists

Deserve a mention, but not quite ol' favourites.

John Oliver on televangelists

Postby AD6LR » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:45 am

A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver....
AD6LR
Site Admin

Re: John Oliver on televangelists

Postby E-lad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:37 pm

AD6LR wrote:http://youtu.be/7y1xJAVZxXg

Legalized fraud. These are the peop;e that I often rant about. It's absolutely obscene when they take money from people who are already unable to cover their expenses.

The problem is that if anyone would try to put a stop to this, that would open the door to stop every church from asking for money in the name of their god. It's a hot, bloody, mess.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby Stoned Immaculate » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:48 pm

This was a fantastic segment. I actually called the number and it's funny as shit. These "seed sowers" are the lowest of the low, fuck them forever. Part of me wants to say they can legally do what they want with this nonsense, and shame on anyone who actually gets scammed. But I think of the type of people that would be scammed, can't imagine their situation to be this desperate, there should be some kind of safeguard against these predatory dickheads.
With a name like Smucker's, it has to be god.
Stoned Immaculate

Postby zilch » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:55 pm

The best solution would be for people to simply wise up and stop sending money to these assholes. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby the_ignored » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 pm

So...you beat me to the thread topic, BUT I have beaten YOU to the fundie's reaction themselves to this topic!
the_ignored

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:22 am

the_ignored wrote:So...you beat me to the thread topic, BUT I have beaten YOU to the fundie's reaction themselves to this topic!

Thanks for digging this out for us t_i.

From the Rapture Ready thread on this:

In case anyone doubts the harmful effect that these TV soothsayers and modern day hucksters has, even the secular media and entertainment sector has taken them on.
John Oliver, host of Last Week Tonight on HBO just did a whole feature on them and their scams.
Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel.- Horace Walpole
E-lad

Postby zilch » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:51 am

I guess at least some televangelists are too much even for RR, otherwise this new member's post would have been deleted, not just the video link. They are very touchy- look at their List of Rules, much stricter than Ken Ham's oath. They ban theological conceits I've never heard of.

I'm surprised that I lasted as long as I did there- a couple of weeks. They finally realized that I was an atheist and not a clueless seeker and booted me.
You were born. And so you're free. So happy birthday.
- Laurie Anderson
zilch

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Legalized fraud. These are the peop;e that I often rant about. It's absolutely obscene when they take money from people who are already unable to cover their expenses.

The problem is that if anyone would try to put a stop to this, that would open the door to stop every church from asking for money in the name of their god. It's a hot, bloody, mess.

This was a fantastic segment. I actually called the number and it's funny as shit. These "seed sowers" are the lowest of the low, fuck them forever. Part of me wants to say they can legally do what they want with this nonsense, and shame on anyone who actually gets scammed. But I think of the type of people that would be scammed, can't imagine their situation to be this desperate, there should be some kind of safeguard against these predatory dickheads.

Dale, Stoned Immaculate. Yes. It's easy to mock as gullible and somehow culpable those whom fall for this obvious nonsense but like those on this side of the pond whom are welcomed by high street pay day loan companies allowing them to sign for amounts they could never pay back, there is a depth of desperation that we have never sunk to, and therefore cannot appreciate.

I guess at least some televangelists are too much even for RR, otherwise this new member's post would have been deleted, not just the video link. They are very touchy- look at their List of Rules, much stricter than Ken Ham's oath. They ban theological conceits I've never heard of.

I'm surprised that I lasted as long as I did there- a couple of weeks. They finally realized that I was an atheist and not a clueless seeker and booted me.

Well, zilch, I've had a peruse of the boards of that site and I'm damn surprised they noticed you were an atheist and not a clueless seeker as they seemed too busy tied up in minutiae. I thought I'd heard all the theologies possible but some are alien to me! Their obsession with right theology has got me lost and I thought I'd come across every possible viewpoint. Talk about Matthew 23:24 in action.
I wonder if heaven is like this? People sitting around talking for a billion years at a time on the meaning of the translation of the letter 'a' in a single verse.
I suppose it gives them a hobby and keeps them out of the way of those going about their lawful business.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?Then he is not omnipotent.Is he able, but not willing?Then he is malevolent.Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? (Epicurus circa:300 BC)
Jessica

Postby E-lad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Jessica wrote:
I wonder if heaven is like this? People sitting around talking for a billion years at a time on the meaning of the translation of the letter 'a' in a single verse.
I suppose it gives them a hobby and keeps them out of the way of those going about their lawful business.

I think it is their way of thinking their opinion is somehow actually important because any clueless moron can make any nebulous claim and of course it will fit into some theological niche.
E-lad

Postby 3point14rat » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:38 pm

AD6LR wrote:http://youtu.be/7y1xJAVZxXg

That piece is bang on.

John Oliver is a great heir of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. It takes lots of brains to be really funny, and those three are utterly brilliant (my personal preference is Stephen Colbert's style of mocking.)
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Next

Return to General non-thinkery