Welcome to WeAreSMRT.com. Click here to register

John Oliver on televangelists

Deserve a mention, but not quite ol' favourites.

Re: John Oliver on televangelists

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:12 am

3point14rat wrote:
AD6LR wrote:http://youtu.be/7y1xJAVZxXg

That piece is bang on.

John Oliver is a great heir of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. It takes lots of brains to be really funny, and those three are utterly brilliant (my personal preference is Stephen Colbert's style of mocking.)

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. :P
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby UK Atheist » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 am

Here comes the heretic!

I personally don't find John Oliver funny and, dare I say it, rather annoying. When I listen to his jokes, I don't find them funny at all. He comes across as someone who overlabours jokes and revels in his "I'm British! Am I not so lame?" schtick. It's the same reason I don't like Trevor Noah and hopes he fails at the Daily Show. He has one joke and it wasn't a very good one to begin with. "I'm from Africa. Aren't I so sophisticated to you westerners?". I really despise acts like that.

However, the topics John Oliver talks about and depth he goes into is fantastic and that's where he gets my respect.

As a journalist, John Olivet does was the main stream media should be doing.
As a comedian? In my opinion, he sucks balls....
UK Atheist

Postby BeamStalk » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:28 pm

UK Atheist wrote:Here comes the heretic!

I personally don't find John Oliver funny and, dare I say it, rather annoying. When I listen to his jokes, I don't find them funny at all. He comes across as someone who overlabours jokes and revels in his "I'm British! Am I not so lame?" schtick. It's the same reason I don't like Trevor Noah and hopes he fails at the Daily Show. He has one joke and it wasn't a very good one to begin with. "I'm from Africa. Aren't I so sophisticated to you westerners?". I really despise acts like that.

However, the topics John Oliver talks about and depth he goes into is fantastic and that's where he gets my respect.

As a journalist, John Olivet does was the main stream media should be doing.
As a comedian? In my opinion, he sucks balls....

He has a different opinion, BURN HIM!!!

Nah it is cool, I can understand where you are coming from. It is like my hatred of the comic book character Deadpool, he is a one trick pony that the trick isn't even that good.
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.
-Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"
BeamStalk

Postby Dax Williams » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:31 am

John Oliver has good material. Doesn't matter who feeds him or if it's his. I admit it ain"t the Two Ronnies
which was (my age is showing) about as sexist as you could get. I think some of it is
spot on. I could only wish in my wildest dreams that some Republicans
would pay attentions .Can you imagine voting for the better of two evils. At least in Canada we can vote for the
better of four evils.
Trevor Noah. One trick pony? We'll see
Dax Williams

Postby 3point14rat » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Dax Williams wrote:Can you imagine voting for the better of two evils. At least in Canada we can vote for the
better of four evils.

I work in Calgary and there is only one party you can champion in this office, and that's Conservative. If I had the guts to talk about any of the other parties, I'd be so ostracized that I'd probably have to quit. (Same with provincial politics, but you can add Wild Rose to the 'acceptable' column.) And the small town I live in is the same. So are my parents.

I know the other parties have lots of supporters, but they are nowhere in my life!
“It is morally as bad not to care whether a thing is true or not, so long as it makes you feel good, as it is not to care how you got your money as long as you have got it.” Edwin Way Teale
3point14rat

Previous

Return to General non-thinkery